Some opinions please

rick12

Hi Guys

Would appreciate some opinions on this helmet please.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3APIC&viewitem=&item=150105137586&rd=1&rd=1

Hi

This is the last version of the Bavarian Pickelhaube, around 1914 (wappen without leaves).

Although it is not my period, it looks like an honest OFF pickelhaube to me.

The Wappen has its 3 crowns voided, which is good. The spike is tall (extra spike)

The "Vergoldung" is very dirty and has became almost red.

Best regards

Eric

I do not deal with Officer;s stuff .But that looks like a nice Helmet , there are post's to deal with fixing what needs to be done to it. But looks good honest piece to me .
Mark

Thanks also to Eric. (I did thank him privately by email.)
I appreciate the time you have both taken.
Cheers Rick

I like this helme very much Rick. This is a good honest piece from what I can see. According to Lacardes' book they introduced that smaller style wappen in 1896. Brian

Thanks Brian
Im really glad that you all like the helmet because I just bought it for 990 Euros. Cheers Rick

Very cool Rick please post some before and after pics of the piece once you have cleaned it up. In addition, if you need any recommendations about cleaning products to use, feel free to contact me. Brian

Hi Guys

I notice that the wappen on my helmet is different to the smaller Bavarian version.

Is anybody able to enlighten me on this.

Cheers Rick

Hello Rick,

The Wappen on the officer's helmet you purchased in the initial link, is the Model 1914 when branches and bay-leaves on the Wappen were removed. See mine below:

dbh05.jpg

You will note that on my example above the crowns are not voided on the lions. Bayern is the only contingent where it seems that in many cases, voided of the crowns is not one of those "absolutes". It is very common to find an officer's Wappen with crowns not voided on the lions. The large top Wappen crown, however, is always voided.

This type of Wappen was also worn by Mannschaften (Other Ranks)mounted troops such as Feldartillerie, Chevaluager etc as shown below.

dbh41.jpg

The smaller Wappen that Brian mentioned, was the Model 1896 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) for the Foot-troops (Infantry) which was when a Pickelhaube similar to the 1895 Preußen pattern was adopted. See below.

pt56.jpg

Hi Tony

Thanks for that but if you look closely at the helmet I bought you will see that the shield is smaller and has two bits at the bottom holding it up. Definately different to yours.
Cheers Rick

Whoops! I thought you were asking about the voided crowns. This is your's below, correct? I would say that your Wappen is just a different manufacturer. It would not concern me in the slightest. I collect Preußen eagle Wappens, you would not believe the variety from chicken-to-chicken, all of which can be explained by different makers. In fact, you are fortunate the crowns, lion's tongues, tails, etc are all still there. There parts are very fragile and easily snagged and broken off over the years.

8717_3.JPG

Back