Someone Received a Fantastic Bargain on a Complete Felt Helmet

ww1czechlegion

I'm always amazed by the number of eBay sellers who know nothing about their pickelhaube, and they go ahead and list it for sale with a very low "buy-it-now" price, just to get it sold and out the door.

Here's the latest bargain some lucky eBay buyer won: https://www.ebay.com/itm/German-WWI-Spiked-Helmet-/122940484956?hash=item1c9fd2ed5c%3Ag%3ArDcAAOSwfoNab6K7&nma=true&si=L4yv6vicu%252Fbo1ko0IMql7M3GKU4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And it looks like the chinstrap is an original. The chinstrap was worth more than the entire complete helmet sold for. Amazing!

Best Regards,

Alan

No big deal, he probably got it for 10 bucks at a yard sale and made a good profit. That means someone else got a bargain. At least he did mot make a biker helmet out of it by ruining it and a nice Stahlhelm.

Someone told me today that the eBay seller actually collects spike helmets. That throws a strange twist into this.

It sounds like someone who is not greedy, I would say he is helping the hobby,

I believe I sold this guy some parts over the years, and have seen him sell spiked helmets before. No way he does not know what it is, some kind of scam going on.

James

The last name rings a bell for me as well, it's an unusual name. I believe I restitched a piece for him years ago. If I remember correctly he lived in upstate New York and first name was Mike??

Here in The Netherlands some scammers steal pictures of helmets, uniforms and such,via google and other guy's collection pic's, and place adverts on vending sites. Pretending they own the objects. Then, if you pay, nothing is heard from the "seller" again.
Sometimes they get away with it, because Police is too busy to be active in following up the accusements.

It is getting better with Pay-Pall active on these sites, so you can get your money back.
But it still stinks guy's like these... :-x

Have a nice day,

Greetings, Coert. :)

That happened to me. I didn't buy the helmet, but I found a photo of one of my helmets for sale on someone else's site/advertisement. I initially couldn't figure out where he got the photo, but then I Googled Pickelhaubes and searched images --- there it was. A simple download, dress up the background using photoshop, and you're in business.
It makes you wonder --- If people are doing this with Pickelhaubes, a hobby with limited participants, what are they doing with electronics, cars, shoes, boats, etc!!!

It's rapidly becoming the greatest lie of our times --- "Crime doesn't pay". Apparently it pays very well.

John [-X [-X [-X

Back