SOS 2016 #2

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
As I said, I have taken 100+ pics at this years SOS, so a new thread of pics on my experience there.

The last, a set of markings on a pair of feldgrau pants, 10th artillery regt 4th Battery that were sold by John Kitts whose tables backed on to ours. They were in perfect condition and extremely rare!

Another set of markings for our list on an M95 which I bought.

Something for our Australian members. The author Jeff Knoll who wrote the reference book on Imperial regt markings is in the background. This set is owned by John Kitts and is for sale. Anyone who is interested, can PM me as I have John's contact info.

Unfortunately, John decided to wash the tunic years ago with a little bleach included......it turned the button hole thread yellow as you can see.

Randy Trawnik seated (Age of Kings) and Tony Cowan:

Another shot of the helmets on AofK's table.

Mike Kelso holding up a beautiful Jaeger OYV tunic that he purchased.

Keep them coming those pics
that way us fellows oversees can have the feeling we where part of the sos :wink:

jonas

Thanks for posting. I must say this year's show flew by. I was having too much fun - or spending too much money. I can't figure out which! \:D/

Will do Jonas, I have lots more fotos to post. Peter had some very interesting items for sale including a selection of primitive wooden clubs from Africa and the Pacific area. I should have taken your picture Pete in front of your tables.

That's what I'm talking about !

When I go to a big show, I feel like a kid in a candy store. :headbang:

Looking at the pictures, it feels like I missed something again. I have to come to the SOS next year :-" ...

Thanks for the pictures!

Adler

Adler said:
Looking at the pictures, it feels like I missed something again. I have to come to the SOS next year :-" ...

Thanks for the pictures!

Adler

It would be an honor to meet you! :bravo: Be careful though, Gus is a little strange.

joerookery said:
Adler said:

Thanks for the pictures!

Adler

It would be an honor to meet you! :bravo: Be careful though, Gus is a little strange.
But Dave is really strange, he makes me look normal (ish)

Thoughts on the show - including a few friends from here:
http://www.militarytrader.com/military-trader/show-of-shows-bigger-and-better-than-ever" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to everybody for the photos so far and to Peter for the article.

A question -is some sort of guide or catalogue available to give some idea of where sellers are located and a broad description of the sort of stuff they're selling e.g. type of militaria, country and era, or do prospective buyers have no option other than to traipse for hours up and down the aisles in order to find the sort of items they're looking for?

Patrick

chinstrap said:
Thanks to everybody for the photos so far and to Peter for the article.

A question -is some sort of guide or catalogue available to give some idea of where sellers are located and a broad description of the sort of stuff they're selling e.g. type of militaria, country and era, or do prospective buyers have no option other than to traipse for hours up and down the aisles in order to find the sort of items they're looking for?

Patrick

Wear comfortable shoes and get a program when you come in, there is a map in the program with an alphabetical listing of the vendors and their specialty, but it would take days to go through it. It is better to take a orderly pattern and work through the whole show as some of the best buys are from vendors who do not specialize in what you are looking for. And all the other stuff can be really interesting too, other that stuff with swastikas, if I see one table of that stuff it is more than enough. OH, and if you see something you might want to come back for later, you had better make a note in the map where it is as it is nearly impossible to remember where things are after you have been up and down a few aisles.

chinstrap said:

There is a show guide, but honestly I just head out and walk and walk and walk some more. I probably saw new stuff on Saturday that I somehow missed days earlier.

Peter_Suciu said:
chinstrap said:

There is a show guide, but honestly I just head out and walk and walk and walk some more. I probably saw new stuff on Saturday that I somehow missed days earlier.

Things change on the tables over the few days of the show, as things sell, more is put out, and vendors are always looking for the bargains and then putting them on their table. I find that the best thing is to know who you want to deal with before you go (not easy for every one) but I am lucky (or is it unlucky) that one seller always has many very special things that I need, the hardest part is deciding what to get and what o leave. Normally, I would do a bit of browsing on my way to his table, but since he is now back to back with us, I do not even need to leave the table.

Gustaf said:
Things change on the tables over the few days of the show, as things sell, more is put out, and vendors are always looking for the bargains and then putting them on their table.

That was the case with my tables. I didn't have enough room for everything I brought but as stuff sold I pulled out more stuff. Plus I bought stuff that went on the table. A funny item was a Vietnam Era pouch with three deactivated RPG rounds. I traded my friend Ed for it and he had brought it to SOS for two years I believe. It never sold. I owned it for two hours and it sold.

Show of Shows "evolves" as the show goes on. I've seen items bounce from table to table, and I've seen dealer tables that look almost completely different by the end of the show as they sell stuff. I know I re-organized my table several times. I had a pair of trench boots that got zero notice on Thursday but by Friday I had several lookers and the pair sold.

those are nice pieces
nice ersatz also, one that was not a mixmax, like those that sometimes pop up

jonas

Hello Thanks for sharing all these pictures
I see here and there a few pieces of French militaria
Did you see any 1st Empire Napoleonic pieces for example headgear?

Brgds

JM

Back