SOS 2016 #2

michmuch said:
I see here and there a few pieces of French militaria
Did you see any 1st Empire Napoleonic pieces for example headgear?

I've seen Second Empire over the years, but mostly the French militaria in the U.S. is Third Republic or later. Show of Shows is a great militaria show, but it probably isn't the right show for First Empire.

Thanks to all of our Pickelhaubes.com friends who attended - it wouldn't be SOS without you!

I did not get nearly as much opportunity to shop as I would have liked, doing AGM and OVMS stuff.. mostly the latter, so looking through photos posted on the forums and those taken by our official photographer is actually a bit frustrating. "Hey - I never saw that, and I would have bought that!!!" is the refrain.

For those who did not attend, if you browse the major militaria discussion forums you will note that depending on one's particular area of interest, it almost appears that everybody went to completely different shows. Peter's photos in his article are very specific to his personal interests, the W-A guys posted pages and pages of hakenkreuz gee-gaws, the US Militaria Forum guys saw patches cast upon an endless sea of khaki and olive drab, and the helmet forum guys focused in on all of the painted M1 helmets that were bobbing about in those same waters. The ASMIC guys tempted tetanus once more in bin after bin of special pinback man jewelry, while the Orders & Medals folks were distracted mostly by larger jewelry with colorful ribbons.

With over 166,500 square feet of militaria that is (as previously pointed out) constantly evolving over the course of the show, if you don't find something you want, you're just simply not trying.

The very best part, though, is the warm fellowship of good friends, old and new. I didn't get to spend as much time visiting with you all as I would have liked, but enjoyed every minute that was available. You all are very sincerely appreciated!

Hey Jeff, I agree and I think that photos of the show should be banned as I always see things that I missed during the show and really want them now that it is too late. But the best part of the show is the camaraderie. We still laugh about how fast a certain "Antiques Road Show" appraiser pulled out his felt tip pen to give James Lebrasseur's Wife, Lori an autograph. She would turn red for the next day and a half every time that was mentioned.
I can't wait for next year,

Jeff Shrader said:
For those who did not attend, if you browse the major militaria discussion forums you will note that depending on one's particular area of interest, it almost appears that everybody went to completely different shows. Peter's photos in his article are very specific to his personal interests, the W-A guys posted pages and pages of hakenkreuz gee-gaws, the US Militaria Forum guys saw patches cast upon an endless sea of khaki and olive drab, and the helmet forum guys focused in on all of the painted M1 helmets that were bobbing about in those same waters. The ASMIC guys tempted tetanus once more in bin after bin of special pinback man jewelry, while the Orders & Medals folks were distracted mostly by larger jewelry with colorful ribbons.

Jeff--
I couldn't agree more that the show looks entirely differently based on the forum. As a reporter I tried to take different photos, but I probably do get drawn to what I think is really cool but in fairness I did send my editor around 90 photos and he used a dozen. So it could be the personal interests of John Adams-Graf based on what I supplied him! :D
PS

The main theme of my photo taking which is probably obvious, was imperial items, primarily hauben but also shoulder straps and other related items. There are still more pics to come. Thanks for your comments Jeff, great to have met you.

I thought this Russian shako was extremely beautiful! Perhaps Sergei or Leone can identify it for us.

Some additional SOS "hardware":

John Kitt's tables backed on to ours. He had some very nice pieces for sale. This WW1 CEF "set" was one of the few that I saw at the SOS.

From the back side.... The bayonet from the infamous "Ross Rifle" can clearly be seen. The leather shoulder yoke which is part of the equipment harness is a reproduction. This particular piece of gear is extremely rare even in Canada, while the square leather pouches are fairly common at shows.

The CN winter forage cap being worn is also a rare piece of CEF headdress.

b.loree said:
I thought this Russian shako was extremely beautiful! Perhaps Sergei or Leone can identify it for us.

WOW!
I guess the same here is. What prise was on the SOS?

http://leibstandart.com/military/2833/40779/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the ID link Leone. Sorry, I do not have a price. The dealer who had it had mostly Russian items on his table so he would know the value and it would be in $US.

Thanks for posting more photos!

Jeff, I had to look up 'gee-gaw' and enjoyed the definition I found:

"gew·gaw (variation of gee-gaw)
ˈɡyo͞oɡô/
noun
noun: geegaw

a showy thing, especially one that is useless or worthless."

I suppose to people outside of our area of interest, we all collect gee-gaws of one kind or another. For me, a gee-gaw would be baseball cards, or old footballs, but I have a co-worker who loves the stuff.

:D Ron

Belated thanks to everybody who took the trouble to explain how they go about viewing the show. Sounds like hard work, but enjoyable if you have friends there to share the experience with.

Patrick

You are welcome Patrick. The SOS is exciting but also a bit of a grind. The floor is poured concrete so by the end of the day even if you have no health problems, your feet and back ache. Your eyes dry out from the harsh lighting and walking up and down all the rows, scanning every table for militaria treasure! You have to have friends sharing your tables so you can take a break and then they can go out for a look. It is very cool though and we all get together for supper and spend time talking hauben, drinking beer and wine after that. Most of us only see each other once a year, so it is great to spend 3 days together. The wives get together also and have a great time outside of the show. It is a very positive experience.

b.loree said:

Shako General - balloonist (pilot), or a military engineer in 1909 sample
very similar to the original

Back