SOS 2017 B Loree

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I know that many members who were unable to attend the SOS 2017, are anxious to see photos of the show. I have taken them and will post as usual. I toured the show row by row and took pictures of most of the hauben offered, especially the "rare" ones. However, the SOS for the Haube Head's (Joe Robinson's name for us) who attend, is a bit of a "grind" due to an 8am to 4:00 pm show (3 days) then, the social meetings which occur after. This involves food, plus alcohol consumption but by the end of the evening, more alcohol has been consumed than food. So...., my apologies but you will have to wait a bit, until I get back and escape this SOS situation which involved a pickelhauben search by day and "party" by night!! I would like to say, that the partying that went on, was strictly led by J.Le Brasseur and Col. J. Robinson and as usual, I was led astray by these forum members. I am completely innocent! :D ! More to come my friends.

I had a great S O S show .
A cople of 14 " X 20 " display mounts of straps for my cllection
mainly enlisted Dragoons , which I just started to collect .
A Generals strap for Garde Grenadier Regt. 3
A pair of Majors straps for I R 9
A rare officers strap for Saxon Machine Gun Abtg 8
I bought 2 nice Prussian enlisted helmets
hard to find hemets these days that are 100 % correct
and not been "played around with ".
Picked up my Pioneer Batl. 10 Reserve officers helmet
that Brian restored for me.
Super job that he did , I might add.
Jim T. who has done several books and has done a study
on what % of troops wore a certain type of Regt. helmet
in the I G Armee told me that only 1/10th of 1 % wore
the P B 10 helmet .
The Crown Jewel of my purchases at the show was
an Officers Friedensrock tunic for the KAGGR# 1
I hope to post photos later under latest find.

I hope others will do the same .
I know that James LaB picked up some nice helmets

Steve

Sorry several misakes in my last post
I had a problem with my computer
skiped many letters I typed
Major pair is I R 92

Steve

It was good seeing everyone in Louisville. I'm sorry to you guys who I didn't say goodbye to this year, but hey, it never really is goodbye as much as "see you next year!"

Ok, we crossed back into Canada today, here are some photos:

Mark aka "Maple Creek" was selling his father's collection.

Police helmet:

Mike Kelso posing with his new reference book on Imperial shoulder boards.

One of Steve Mc purchases, a fantastic mutze with excellent markings!

More to come. :)

There are several items that have my attention just a shame it was not on a local fair in belgium so i had the chance on buying one or two

Nice helmets that i have seen

Jonas

Hello,
Thanks for posting the photos. Who is the dealer/exhibitor Mark aka "Maple Creek" and how might I contact him regarding some of the helmets pictured and whether they are still available for purchase?
Thanks

Mike

Here is the best photo of the show.

Joe's Molly looking gorgeous.

Molly.jpg

Tony I do not know, seeing David Mosher's blue vest on the chair in the same spot it has been for over 10 years bring me tears....

However, My son did have a blast playing with Molly, he was covered in hair by end of show.

James

First let me acknowledge how much we missed Gus and Maggie. I know this microphone types what it wants to. And thank you Tony for the picture of Molly Who spend most of the show under the table.

There is nothing better for a collector Than to go to SOS. People put faces with names and deals abound. Some members actually get free stuff . Seriously knowledgeable people are around to answer questions. I saw Bryan giving a bad news answer to a newcomer about helmet repair. He got it from the horses mouth. I saw a Randy give a lecture on the upcoming helmet sales . Full of insights and back room stories. You cannot pay for this kind of education. You can get it nowhere else. I know many of you have excuses about why you cannot attend but it is a mistake. People come from Europe and all over the US. Next year I will only so a few books but I am going anyway. It is true that there are one or two people who are persona non grata. They know who they are and what they did. While other people get family Prices I have actually seen prices rise as they approach. This is a social event. Everyone knows everyone. As Randy said we have a niche market and we know all of the nichers. Reassess if you do not attend. It is well worth your while.

Back