spike base pins

This is my Baden reserve helmet. I am happy with it despite the wappen having the motto and the cross missing. holes are not rough and I can see where the cross once was, the neckguard has a garniture mark of III and is dated 1903 or 1908, my question though is the pins they are of a heavy guage wire that cannot be moved by finger pressure alone, I have not seen this before and was interested to know if this may be just a Baden thing? the pins on the visor trim have just been twisted and pushed up behind the liner without being trimmed.
of course this could be some sort of reproduction but the fittings all appear to be of the same patina.
baden%20008_zps4h6sw6cw.jpg

[imghttp://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag347/jcooper998/baden%20007_zpslal8zddx.jpg][/img]

baden%20003_zpsm4ofzuwy.jpg

baden%20001_zps7lqvat5c.jpg

baden%20006_zpsm7d99wye.jpg

thanks

Hard to say, I have never seen pins like that before but they are all the same, the wire is the same gauge. A pic of them in place on the spike base could help, are the heads all the same size/diameter? Nothing is impossible in this haube collecting biz. Ideally take one off, and see how the wire is fastened to the domed head. I have seen a number of variations in spike base fasteners.....split brads on officer stars, square necked screw posts (OR), thinner brads on OR's fasteners. OR's split brads that looked little hats and of course the diameter of the brad head can vary as well.

Refearing to the helmet plate, would I be correct when stating that thise could be a LG 109 helmet (and not a reserve!), due to the fact the bandeau holds the state device......!?
cheers
|<ris

stuka f said:
Refearing to the helmet plate, would I be correct when stating that thise could be a LG 109 helmet (and not a reserve!), due to the fact the bandeau holds the state device......

The LG109 helmet plate is a completely different shape, and in white metal. This is a normal baden front plate that has had a reserve cross added to it. This is not uncommon. prussians did it too. Great helmet by the way. Sadly the reserve cross will be really hard to find.

Back