spike not removable?

weirdpyramid

Pardon my lack of French but does this description read "spike is not removable"? If so that would be a problem. Also no regiment markings or corps number. These units wore a parade bush so the spike should be able to come off. Other than that its a nice one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASQUE-POINTE-PIONNIER-TROUPE-GARDE-PRUSSIENNE-/251004430966?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6592105185196242693#ht_600wt_1104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey Chris,
although the seller's French is full of 'fautes de grammaires', he's indeed saying the spike doesn't unscrew although he states "this is not the first Ersatz Guard troup helmet that I['ve] see[n] with a spike that doesn't unscrew" (CE NEST PAS LE PREMIER CASQUE ERSATZ TROUPE DE LA GARDE DONT JE VOIS QUE LA POINTE NE SE DEVISSE [PAS])...
Maybe a parts haube?

Hey Chris

If you get it, send it to Gus or I. With the careful use of some 3 in 1 oil, a torch and a large pipe wrench.....I think we can get that spike off :lol:

Keith

RON said:
Maybe a parts haube?

Most likely, but looks like good parts. I really want the M91 chinscales for my Eisenbahn helmet. :-k
img0733kg.jpg

TO BID OR NOT TO BID, that is the question... :-k

(I'm not; I'm only sticking to M15s)

RON said:
(I'm not; I'm only sticking to M15s)

Its good to narrow down your collecting to stay focused and manage your time and $$$ wisely. I love the M15's and look forward to obtaining some more for my collection but I have got to have the shiny stuff too! When pre M15 fittings are under a good display light(especially officer fittings), you just can't beat that shine, you cant get that with the M15's.
I narrowed down my collecting to only the Kingdom of Prussia(including Baden, Hesse, etc.) uniform and helmet items also only between the years of 1907- 1918 with a little flexibility with the years.

I disagree. I have exactly the same helmet, in rigorously untouched condition, and the spike does not unscrew (not stuck, empty; non-unscrewable model). It is marked to BAG. Possibly from Garde Kraftfahr Battalion.
Bruno

Gents,
It´s a fact that not all Pickelhauben that have been worn in such units with Parade-Busch did have a screwable spike!!
This has been already talked about on this forum a few times ago.
Each unit (and its Bekleidungs-Office) owned helmets for the daily duty in the garrison or in the field. Those helmets had to be cheap to hold the costs low for the unit and this is the reason because such helmets had no screwable spikes.
The Bekleidungs-Office also owned better helmets and handed them out only for special events like parades.
Please also note that this special helmet has been manufactured 1915. How important and frequent were parades during WWI ??? Do not need a Parade-busch in the field....
Please look at this link:
http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5346" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joe wrote (5th reply):
The second issue deals less with opinion as it is quite documented however, some people still do not embrace this concept. Parade plumes were used for parades–dress occasions–soldiers were issued their top rated uniforms-garniture I- as well as special helmets that could unscrew to allow a parade plume to be screwed in. As soon as the parade was over soldiers had to turn back in their good equipment. The regiment did not want to buy any more uniforms or helmets than they had to because of wear out dates. Therefore, soldiers in regiments that were authorized plumes often wore a helmet that did not unscrew it all for normal times or their service Dienst. This was commonly referred to as a Diensthelm. this was in general lower quality and.... wait for it… cheaper. This entire concept of a really good helmet and a less quality Diensthelme applied to private purchase helmets also in a somewhat different form. Therefore, I see no problem with a helmet from GR89 that does not have a removable spike top.

I must say I am also knowing the guy who is selling this helmet. This is a friend of mine with a lot knowledge about imperial helmets. You can really trust this guy, he is absolutely OK!!! I lay my hand in the fire for the stuff he is selling!!!
Philippe :salute:

RON said:
Hey Chris,
although the seller's French is full of 'fautes de grammaires', he's indeed saying the spike doesn't unscrew although he states "this is not the first Ersatz Guard troup helmet that I['ve] see[n] with a spike that doesn't unscrew" (CE NEST PAS LE PREMIER CASQUE ERSATZ TROUPE DE LA GARDE DONT JE VOIS QUE LA POINTE NE SE DEVISSE [PAS])...
Maybe a parts haube?

[-X Ron, "fautes de grammaire" , sans "s" à la fin du mot "grammaire" :wink:

911car said:
It is marked to BAG.

I'm I missing that picture then? I don't see that stamp in the pictures anywhere.

argonne said:
It´s a fact that not all Pickelhauben that have been worn in such units with Parade-Busch did have a screwable spike!! This has been already talked about on this forum a few times ago.

Yes I understand that and I agree in helmets marked with a date of 1915 lots of things are possible but also the chinscales wouldn't be necessarily worn either or possibly not original to the helmet. A enlisted man wouldn't wear chinscales in the field either, right? Meaning a solider wouldn't be issued a helmet in 1915 with chinscales but without a a spike that didn't screwed off, it would be "half" to parade.

I saw this helmet at a sale in France ... it's not my theme on the contrary I have purchased ....
pp

argonne said:

T'as tout à fait raison Philippe, je commence à perdre mon français moi aussi :? !

poniatowski said:
argonne said:
! I lay my hand in the fire for the stuff he is selling!!!

That's a little extreme, isn't it? :p

:D Ron

No Ron, both hands in the fire would be a little extreme :wink:
However, I know this guy and he really always have very good stuff!!!

RON said:
argonne said:

T'as tout à fait raison Philippe, je commence à perdre mon français moi aussi :? !

Il me faut avouer que celà m´arrive aussi assez souvent... :oops: à force de parler allemand à longueur d´année, je perds lentement mon vocabulaire francais... ](*,)
:D :D :D

weirdpyramid said:
911car said:
It is marked to BAG.

I'm I missing that picture then? I don't see that stamp in the pictures anywhere.

argonne said:
It´s a fact that not all Pickelhauben that have been worn in such units with Parade-Busch did have a screwable spike!! This has been already talked about on this forum a few times ago.

Yes I understand that and I agree in helmets marked with a date of 1915 lots of things are possible but also the chinscales wouldn't be necessarily worn either or possibly not original to the helmet. A enlisted man wouldn't wear chinscales in the field either, right? Meaning a solider wouldn't be issued a helmet in 1915 with chinscales but without a a spike that didn't screwed off, it would be "half" to parade.

Don´t forget that this helmet could also have been worn in a lot of different small Verkehrs-Truppen units like Kraftfahr-Bataillon, Eisenbahnen-Truppen (Militär-Direktion, Depot-Verwaltung, Verkehrsamt), Versuchs-Abteilung des Militär-Verkehrswesens, Militär-Akademie, and as such, those units were not in the front neighbourhood, but in Berlin!!!! Soldiers who were in such "office units" did not obligatory need to have a screwable spike for parade but could wore chinscales for the daily duty.
Alles klar? :wink:

I had shown my same helmet on the forum some time ago and I think it is Tony who suggested a possible Kraftfahr B. helmet, a possibility I had myself considered. Unfortunately I cannot retrieve the thread. I could not find whether KB soldiers wore a Haarbusch...
In addition to KBAG 1915, mine bears a large stamp "BA" in capital letters inside the rear visor. I could never find out what it stands for. Staff from the Bekleidungsamt?...
Bruno

Bruno,
one very interesting fact: when you have a look in the Ehrenranglisten der königl. preuss. Armee (the best information source at all for unit question), where all units are mentioned year for year (also very very small units), you will see that the Kraftfahr Bataillon stopped to exist as war began. The last mention of this unit is in the 1913 Ehrenrangliste.
During the war there was no Kraftfahr Bataillon anymore. This unit has been handed out in other units...I do not have any idea in which.....

Back