Spiked Helmet Garde

I would tend to Nr. 1 Garde-Regiment zu Fuss, because Plate, Guard-Star, Spike, Spikebase, Trim, Rosette/Post and flat ChinScale are all in silver.
Or is the any part in brass? That would change something... Unfortunately I can‘t identify it definitely on my screen, but it seems to be all silver for me.

Hmm, I‘m sorry but I don‘t know what Regiment has this rivet in brass and all other things in silver.
Hope anybody else can help :eek:

I would say that this helmet could be attributed to one of the following units:

5th Garde-Regiment zu Fuß Garde-Korps
(Spandau) Garde-Korps

Garde-Füsilier-Regiment
(Berlin) Garde-Korps

I wouldn't worry about the brass brad for the visor. This could have easily been an in service repair.
Stunning helmet.

John :)

Have to disagree IMO, and I may not be correct. But I have always read and been told that the 5th Garde and Garde Fusiler did not have removable spikes on OR helmets, where as 1st Garde Zu Fuss did have a removable spike for trichter….

Just my thoughts, either way it is a great find, and I also would not worry about the brass brad..

James

J.LeBrasseur said:
Have to disagree IMO, and I may not be correct. But I have always read and been told that the 5th Garde and Garde Fusiler did not have removable spikes on OR helmets, where as 1st Garde Zu Fuss did have a removable spike for trichter….

Just my thoughts, either way it is a great find, and I also would not worry about the brass brad..

James

You may be 100% correct, but didn't the 1st Garde zu Fuss have a "Semper Talis" bandeaux on the Wappen?

yes and no, the Semper Talis bandeau went into effect via AKO in 1889, so if helmet was before then..

James

J.LeBrasseur said:
yes and no, the Semper Talis bandeau went into effect via AKO in 1889, so if helmet was before then..

James

I think that we might have figured this out.
The Semper Talis bandeaux went into effect in 1889.
The Prussian Kokarde is on the left side of the helmet and the Pickelhaube shown has two Kokarden so it was either post 1897, or updated in 1897 with a Reich's Kokarde.
The spike unscrews for a Trichter, so 1st GzF is most likely.
I found information that only 1st Battalion, 1st Regt zu Fuss wore the Semper Talis bandeaux:
http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gtp/New/infantry1.htm
It stands to reason that this helmet is from the 2nd or 3rd battalion, 1st GzF.

SkipperJohn said:
J.LeBrasseur said:

James

I think that we might have figured this out.
The Semper Talis bandeaux went into effect in 1889.
The Prussian Kokarde is on the left side of the helmet and the Pickelhaube shown has two Kokarden so it was either post 1897, or updated in 1897 with a Reich's Kokarde.
The spike unscrews for a Trichter, so 1st GzF is most likely.
I found information that only 1st Battalion, 1st Regt zu Fuss wore the Semper Talis bandeaux:
http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gtp/New/infantry1.htm
It stands to reason that this helmet is from the 2nd or 3rd battalion, 1st GzF.

I fully agree. According the „Field Guide“ it should be a Helmet of the 1st GRzF - 2nd Bataillon or Füsilier from Potsdam (without a Bandeaux and every Part in silver) :thumb up:

Glad that things were worked out here on this helmet, my only comment is regarding the front visor trim rivet/brad. No Regiment with neusilber fittings ever had brass brads on their visor trim. This is an obvious add on, not only is the metal incorrect, but the size of the brad head is too small to cover up the end of the visor trim. On all hauben, visor trim brads lock the trim in place to the shell and cover up the raw cut ends of the visor trim. The head of the brad must match the width of the trim. Thus, Or's trim brads are larger and officer brads have a smaller diameter head to match their narrower visor trim. A collector who has a neusilber helmet with missing fittings will have a lengthy quest to find what he/she needs as we all know that there were far fewer silver fitted pickelhauben than brass ones in the Imperial Army.

Back