Spiked helmet

Beautiful helmet Bruno, superb! James, Lori says you have enough helmets already! Evicting one of your children so you could take over their room was a bit much! 😀

Hi Bruno,

Beautiful helmet. That cryptic ‘I found this’ begs a lot of questions. Don’t imagine it was quite that simple!

Patrick

That's a rare and beautiful one Bruno, congratulations!

I had seen one on Weitze recently, and it didn't last very long on his Friday posting.

I missed out on an unmarked legit example, fully complete, at a sleepy live auction with no internet sale access back in November that I drove 300 miles one-way to attend. First time I was outbid at one of these events, unfortunately. The auction only took cash, and absolutely no checks or bank cards. I thought I had taken enough cash, but apparently not with the closet collector who had shown up right before the sale of the 4-military related items. He didn't start bidding on it until all the others dropped out who were bidding against me for it, which was interesting. Then it was just he and I, and I took him up another $1,100 on it before I had to drop out. It was "hands-down", by far the highest individual item sold price out of the entire household contents estate auction, LOL. I think the remaining auction attendees were a little shocked by the sale price. I don't think he would have stopped at any price in order to acquire it. He also won a Meck-Schwerin issue bugle, and a cased fife, and a non-related 115th Leib Reg't damaged reservist pipe for a high price. His family name matched the one on the non-related reservist pipe. I think he somehow mistakenly thought the helmet, bugle, and fife were all related to the named reservist pipe. The Hessen 115th Reservist Pipe most certainly could not have been from the same Meck-Schwerin soldier as we know. Money had no end for him, and that happens in life when you come up against someone like that in a bidding situation... Unfortunately I lost out on the items...

Best Wishes,

Alan

Mecklenburg Schwerin helmet and bugle.jpg

Last edited:
James, Lori says you have enough helmets already! Evicting one of your children so you could take over their room was a bit much! 😀

That's a good tease Brian, lol!

James, You might need to make an addition on your house, or move storage containers on sight like Gus has done to make a nice museum and let your wife have her house back. Just teasing of course! :)

Best Wishes,

Alan

Last edited:
Yes Alan 😊 James and I always have a lot of fun here and when we get together at the SOS. There was no way I could pass up that opportunity!

That's a rare and beautiful one Bruno, congratulations!

I had seen one on Weitze recently, and it didn't last very long on his Friday posting.

I missed out on an unmarked legit example, fully complete, at a sleepy live auction with no internet sale access back in November that I drove 300 miles one-way to attend. First time I was outbid at one of these events, unfortunately. The auction only took cash, and absolutely no checks or bank cards. I thought I had taken enough cash, but apparently not with the closet collector who had shown up right before the sale of the 4-military related items. He didn't start bidding on it until all the others dropped out who were bidding against me for it, which was interesting. Then it was just he and I, and I took him up another $1,100 on it before I had to drop out. It was "hands-down", by far the highest individual item sold price out of the entire household contents estate auction, LOL. I think the remaining auction attendees were a little shocked by the sale price. I don't think he would have stopped at any price in order to acquire it. He also won a Meck-Schwerin issue bugle, and a cased fife, and a non-related 115th Leib Reg't damaged reservist pipe for a high price. His family name matched the one on the non-related reservist pipe. I think he somehow mistakenly thought the helmet, bugle, and fife were all related to the named reservist pipe. The Hessen 115th Reservist Pipe most certainly could not have been from the same Meck-Schwerin soldier as we know. Money had no end for him, and that happens in life when you come up against someone like that in a bidding situation... Unfortunately I lost out on the items...

Best Wishes,

Alan

View attachment 21119
Too bad that you missed that one, Alan, but this is the unpredictability of public auctions. The same happened recently when a DR15 enlisted helmet with its original marked Uberzug was auctioned in a small city of Southwestern France. A collector from Europe had sworn he would get it regardless of the price, and he did.
You will find another one though. These show up once in a while. A very nice example, uncleaned as the one you showed above, but well marked to FR90 sold at another auction in Northern France at the end of last year.
All best wishes for finding a great Mecklemburg helmet!

Back