Spine sizes / helmet sizes

aicusv

When trying to repair or restore a helmet there are two parts that present an issue, these are the rear spine and the front visor guard. These two parts are effected by the size of the helmet and when being replaced they have to be matched to the helmet size for fit. It is my intention to come up with some way to identify parts so when a piece is discovered at a show or where ever, we have an idea if it fits a project.
Some time back I posted a thread about sizes marked on rear spines. There appears to have been at least 4 different sizes of spines on model 1891 and model 1915 Mannschaften helmets. The size is marked on either the top or bottom tang and is a stamped number (1,2,3,4). I’m trying to develop a correlation between this spine size and helmet size. So far I’ve gone through my collection (very limited). I discovered that more of the spines are marked for size than the helmets. I’ve recorded the the size stamp and helmet size., I’ve measured the length of the spine (starting where the top tang meets the stamping, up and along the top of the spine, and down to where the bottom tang goes off, I don’t measure the tangs). I measure the profile of the helmet from the spike base to the edge of the rear visor. I’ve also measured the out side circumference of the helmet just above the visors.
I’m planning to work on the front visor guard as well, but for now I’m just staying with the spines.

As I said I’ve gone through my collection, which I don’t believe provided a large enough sample. If any of my fellow collectors would like something to do on these cold winter nights (or warm summer evening to those of you down under) here’s a chance. Check your helmets (model 1891 and model 1915 Mannschaften foot) and if you could send me the following information:
Model of Helmet
Metal of fittings (Brass, Silver, Grey - will do)
Helmet size (if known)
Helmet circumference
Spine number mark (if known)
Profile Measurement
All measurements I’m using are metric, you don’t need to be able to fill in all the items listed but anything will hell help.
Thank you, as soon as I get anything of value or interest I’ll post it.

dg1ok8.jpg

I must say, that that was a very interesting read, and a very interesting hypothesis. I have one or two Pickelhauben, so when I get a chance I will have a look.

Reg, thanks for undertaking this labour of love! This is the kind of research that, once it's all written down and published, will become standard study material for us and our successors - just like the websites of several other members here (including this forum itself) are among the first references I look at when trying to figure out something. Yours will be a valuable contribution for both fully fledged restorers and casual "patcher uppers"!

G'donyah, mate! :bravo:

My best wishes on this project. I have a few extra spines and will check once I get back home. In my experience, most OR spines, are not number stamped. The ones that I do have are stamped on the upper tang which goes under the spike base. I have never seen an officer spine with any stamp. There are also different shapes and lengths to the upper spine tangs.
I totally agree that these two fittings are the most difficult to replace on a restoration project. On M15’s the size fit problem is made worse by patina and paint colour. You replace a missing spike top for example but it looks odd because it does not match the colour of the other fittings. Matching size and fit is also made difficult by shrinkage, many helmets have shrunk over time. You see proof of this in visor trim and spines which no longer fit tight and broken solder on the brad pins which held the spine on the shell.
Finally, there was no standardized placement of where the holes were punched in the shell for the spine brads. You can have a replacement spine which seems to fit the curve of your shell but you have to relocate and resolder the split brads so it will actually fit.

I have no intention to even try to do anything about private purchase helmets. But I've come to the conclusion that there had to be some type of standardization when it comes to Government purchased pieces. The Quarter Master had to have some way to identify parts sizes when ordering service parts and the manufacturer had to have some way for workers to know what went on what.
The problem with age effecting the fit is something that just has to be lived with. Just daily use of an piece can cause parts to loose their alinement and fit. Ask anyone who ever restored an old car.

So far about 45% of the spines I've sampled have had visible marks. The spines that are marked on the upper tang would not have the marks visible once on a helmet. BTW I am not asking anyone to take a helmet apart to look for these marks, just what ever information that can obtained without too much trouble.
Thanks

Happy New Year to all. Well it has been almost a year since I began my collection of spine sizes. I thought I would post how it has been going, slow. Still not enough information to make any conclusions about matching spines to helmets. I would welcome any input from members here - if you can see a number marked on the spine and the size of the helmet, please let me know. Recently I came across a size 61 helmet with a #7 spine (that's the highest number so far)

Back