'Splain this Lucy!

keoki7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-GERMAN-M-1915-ERSATZ-PICKELHAUBE-HELMET-RARE-METAL-VARIATION-VERY-SCARCE/391834672110?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a lot of controversy surrounding this seller. Over on the Gunboards Forums, there are some threads about him. He does have some very nice items, but he also has some that appear to be nice but must be looked at very closely. VERY closely. He gets very high, sometimes astronomical prices, which leads to accusations of shill bidding, etc. Maybe there is some truth to it, or maybe it's just jealousy. He is referred to as the "gray blanket" because that's what he uses as a background for his guns. I have never purchased anything from him, but I have looked.
Steve

Steve,
What do you mean by "shill bidding".
I've never heard the term.

It is a very nice helmet, but at that price it should be!!!

John

SkipperJohn said:
Steve,
What do you mean by "shill bidding".
I've never heard the term.

It is a very nice helmet, but at that price it should be!!!

John

Shill bidding is when the owner of the item being auctioned either bids on his own item using another account or has friends bid on it to drive the price up. If he miscalculates and ends up buying it himself, he just relists it a couple of weeks later as if it was purchased and returned. A sleazy practice.

Steve

I know the seller very well and have sold him many items. He's as honest as the day is long. He sells at shows but does most of his business on gunbroker.com and ebay where he always has a low starting price and never a reserve. He has a fantastic business plan that results in a very large and loyal following. I have emailed him on a couple of occasions about an error in his description of an item and he immediately corrects the error.

Well......very lucky for him. That is an amazing price for a tin haube! It is in great condition and I have never seen a finer liner but the winner certainly has deep pockets. :eek:

Back