Stahlhelm help

Ryanpyc

Good morning gentlemenin my fun online research in the various small antique dealers in the world, I found this German helmet defined as: "German model 1916 helmet marked ET 64 original paint. the liner is from a British first war helmet as is the strap as it came to us. A very interesting adaptation of a German helmet"Since I'm "studying" I'd like to know your opinion on the originality and on a possible fair price.Thank you in advance (sorry for the grammar but I use the translator)Hi Rino

Attachments

• IMG_3189.jpg
    IMG_3189.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3190.jpg
    IMG_3190.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3188.jpg
    IMG_3188.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 15
Hi Rino,

This is a repainted WW1 Helmet by the look of things with possibly a WW2 British helmet liner in. Honest opinion from me is it is a post war messed about with helmet, painted black and a liner added for no reason other than to de-value it further.

Opinion on value as an original piece would be zero.

I doubt they would add a British liner to a German helmet wartime as there were plenty M16's about. The Austrian re-utilised French and Italian helmets but only because they did not have enough of their own.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Tony

I agree with Tony on this helmet. I do have an original M16 helmet in my collection, but it was reissued for use in WW2, it has a M31 german liner fitted, which is correct for a reissued M16.
The one you posted was probably fitted out with it's WW2 British liner, by someone who thought it might be more valuable.
The only value in this helmet, is its shell, and you can find those cheap if you look for them.

Back