Stamp regulation for Hessian Pickelhaubes from 1857

Sandmann

Dear friends,
I recently found an excellent archive for Hessian military ordinance sheets up to 1900, which was unknown to me. While browsing, I came across the official stamp regulations for ALL ITEMS of the Hessian military. It's from 1857, but I don't think that much has changed until 1918 (I didn’t find another one in the sheets up to 1900):

Link: Großherzoglich hessisches Militär-Verordnungsblätter (Hessian Military Ordinance Sheets) in German 1824 to 1900

Extract from hessian Stamp regulation (1857) / I only translated the texts for the Helmets:

Articles provided to troops for service are to be marked with the sign of the regiment (corps) and company (squadron, battery) concerned, as well as with special numbers (or even year numbers) according to the following guidelines:

Regimental Signs:
  • GU = Garde-Unteroffiziers-Kompanie (Guard NCO-Company)
  • P = Pioneer Company
  • R for Reiterei (mounted troops), namely:
  • R = Regimental staff
  • RI = Mounted troops, first division staff
  • RII = Mounted troops, second division staff
  • RIII = Mounted troops, third division staff
  • RA to RF = For the 6 squadrons
  • A for Artillery, namely:
  • A = Corps staff
  • AR = Mounted artillery battery
  • AA to AD = For the 4 foot batteries
  • I, II, III, IV = For the 4 infantry regiments according to their order, and for the 4th infantry regiment, for example:
  • IV for the regimental staff
  • IV I and IV II for the two battalion staffs
  • IV A etc. to IV K for the 10 companies.

The stamps had the following sizes in the helmet:
On leather with ink: 6.5 lines tall
Burned on leather: 6 lines tall / according to Wikipedia a Hessian line was 2.5 mm (until 1871)

All mounting pieces receive the sign of the regiment, corps or company, the last 2 digits of the year in which they were purchased, and also the consecutive numbers 1 to ?? (number of the same pieces of equipment purchased in the marked year).

The stamps on the helmet are inside, under the cross-fitting (branding stamp) and the hair bush on the lower plate (impact stamp).

Last edited:
You are also very welcome :)
It is the first military stamp regulation I've found. I've been looking for the Prussian for years and I hope to find it one day.

Back