Stirnschutz

r-ungern

Is it fine art fake or not?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251069469517?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have 6 of these in my collection and all are stamped on the inside left of the plate, with various marks. I was lucky enough to make a chance find of over 20 of them a few years ago on the battlefield. Every single one of them was stamped on the inside. I think I still have the ref pics I took of the marks somewhere. I would say that this is a copy with a recent paint job, unless there are stamps in there that dont show on the pics. Some of the marks are faint, but mostly they are very deep and would show on the pics he has posted. Ask the seller for extra pics of any stampings inside the plate. If it was me and the seller said there are no stampings I would leave it alone. Most pics in ref books also show stampings inside the plate, but as always, you never know.

Andy

Here is an example of the sort of stamp I would like to see inside one of these plates. They vary a lot from what I have seen, and there is even one type that has a little bell which I have seen inside stahlhelms from time to time. Im sure a certain member of this forum can throw more light on that.
Have we ever had a thread on stirnpanzers? I have a few pics to add to it if we had, or maybe its worth starting a stirn/grabben panzer thread?

Notice also the crude grinding marks, where the casting marks have been removed on the edges. These are also plainly visible on all the plates I have found. The manufacturing process seems to have been very crude. The ebay plate looks far more "finished" which seems to be a common floor with modern copies.

Andy

Why on earth would there be an aviation observers badge be painted on the inside of the Stirnpanzer? I don't see the connection.

Back