Storm trooper tactics

joerookery

I received a series of questions about storm trooper tactics specifically relating to the 1918 offensives. These questions have come from about a half-dozen different people. 1918 stuff is not my forte. I'm not even sure I have a forte -- but there is a big myth that needs to be busted again. In 1976 U. S. Army war College in its publication Parameters published an article called the Hutier myth. This was further amplified in Leavenworth paper number 4 -- a quote from which I have included below. Most recent authors address this correctly but old myths die hard. Not that anybody cares but this is taking some time -- again. Fun but not my thing.

There has been some confusion about the name of these new German offensive tactics. After the German offensive of 1918, the French called the tactics "Hutier tactics," attributing them to General Oskar von Hutier. After serving on the eastern fronts, von Hutier was transferred to the west for the 1918 offensives, during which his Eighteenth army achieved the greatest successes against the enemy. The French credited him with the invention of the offensive tactics, and perhaps this erroneous conjecture provides another example of the personality-dominant thinking of the Allies. The first Allied reaction to the new German tactics was to attempt to identify an individual inventor. The Germans themselves never used the term "Huiter tactics," and recent research has established clearly that von Hutier did not invent these tactics.23 The tactics were the product of an effective corporate effort.

In case anyone's interested, I've attached a link to the Wikpedia version of Hutier. The article is an excellent example of what the U.S. War College's publication was challenging - namely information and conclusions which are essentially the official post-war British explanation of the initial success of the German 1918 spring offensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_von_Hutier

Speaking of French & tactics, I recently aquired this photo of French Troops in a tactical maneuver they called the carapace (tortoise shell), the front is titled: "L'Infantrie au Combat. - Un Peloton sous le feu de L'Artillerie forme la carapace" (Infantrie in Combat. - A Group under the fire of Artillery forms the tortoise shell).

It would be a better title as "Lambs to the slaughter". Mind you, this tactic appears to have been developed as a counter to air burst artillery fire. Those poor French soldiers. No wonder the casualties were so horrendous.

This photo was actually mailed by a German soldier to Berlin on 10 Sept. 1914, cancellation 13. INF.DIV.

Geo

I went home and dug up a book I highly recommend to anyone interested in learning more on the subject. The book is Stormtroop Tactics, Innovation In The German Army, 1914-1918 by Bruce I. Gudmundsson. He mentions the "Hutier tactics" mythos briefly in his introduction, stating that the myth crediting Hutier with "infiltration tactics" first appeared in a French magazine article. He also cites a now less well known but once popular and equally ludicrous theory among "Allied" writers which claimed that the Germans were introduced to these tactics by reading a French pamphlet written by a Captain Andre Laffargue on lessons learned fighting in mid 1915; a pamphlet they had captured in 1916/17. The insightful pamphlet really is interesting, and a couple of conclusions are similar to those drawn by German Officers in early 1915 - basically at the same time; namely bringing infantry guns up with the assault troops and launching swift assaults into enemy trenches, although that's where the similarities end.

The fact that von Hutier earned his reputation as one of Germany's most talented and able Generals is not in dispute, although his talents were put to use at the operational level and not with small unit tactics. To state that German tactics were entirely the result of one genius who drew up a plan of conquest which was then followed to the letter by his Army can only be the result of either being ignorant of or purposely misunderstanding what occured and was achieved.

It's clear that all Armies entering the war in August 1914, mainly those on the Western Front, were woefully unprepared for what the war would shortly turn into, some more so than others. Germany's decentralized command structure which allowed for and encouraged independent tactical decisions (at the junior Officer and even NCO level) made the development and success of these tactics possible in the German Army as early as 1914, not braver men or smarter Officers. All of the Armies on the Western Front had ample amounts of those.
To quote parts of Gudmundsson's final paragraph in his introduction:
'If there is a thesis to this book, it is that there is no single explanation for the transformation of the German infantry that occured during World War I ... A large number of personalities, ideas, situations, and organizational forces interacted to push the German Army toward the "infiltration" tactics" ... Sometimes actions that pushed the German Army toward the new tactics were deliberate. Sometimes they were accidental and unintended. Most of the time, however, they were mere improvisations, ways of dealing with a pressing situation that were later sewn together in that patchwork quilt that Germany's enemies called "infiltration" tactics.'[/u]

nice picture of the French infantry this was an adoption of Naponlenic's and the Color of those poor little poilou .I have read the loss of infantry to attrition due to this style tactic and color of their uniforms was 80,000 men in a 6 month period . Currassier had to amke cover's for thier helmet's.
Nice article Hans
Mark

Perhaps an interesting sketch for you of Stormtrooper tactics in the book of Martin Middlebrook"The Kaiser's Battle"?
The coloured additions are mine of course.

kaiserschlachtkaart02dems4.jpg

Thank you gentlemen for posting such an informative article. As a youngin' I do appreciate when the more knowledgeable spread their academic wealth. The storm trooper tactics has been on my Amazon list for sometime, After this insightful thread I think it is high time to acquire the book. However, I do believe that the caliber of men in these formations can not be understated, as Junger wrote in his book "Storm of Steel" "Each man was capable of rolling up 50yrds of trench on his own" (Page unknown text is not siting next to me at the moment). He later referred to the storm troopers as the aristocrats of trench warfare.

Let me know what you think of the book when you've read it. I hope you find it a worthwhile read.

Speaking of rolling up trenches, I've attached a sketch from a wartime book (more details below) showing 2 methods of rolling up a trench. Both versions show 6 men, the minimum number in a squad of 6-10. The squad is made up of squad leader, 2 picked grenade throwers, 2-3 grenade carriers/relayers/back-up throwers, and 2-3 riflemen (security and observers). Each member of the squad carries full grenade bags + carbine. The point rifleman also carries a pistol. This assault squad would either be working independently for limited objective operations, or be the Stosstrupp spearhead for larger operations. This sketch is from June 1917.
In both A and B the round dots at the end of the curved line extending from the grenade thower represents egg grenades (long distance to prevent enemy counter-bombing with grenades) and the rectangle a stick grenade (shorter distance, to be used first). Option B is recommended, because as one grenade thower leapfrogs to the nest position (trench buttress), the other is in action with egg grenades, providing uninterupted cover.
AufrolleneinesGrabens-3.jpg

The most valuable material on the subject has, of course, been written by German officers during and after the war. I was lucky enough to stumble upon the book pictured here, Close Combat Exercises, the 25th edition printed in July 1918. It is a collection of close combat exercises ranging from combat patrols to large scale assaults, defensive tactics to fighting in cratered landscape to name just a few examples. It's one of many such books written during the war for both officers and men. The exercises in the book are based on the latest tactics in use at the front, some going back to 1915. I'm almost finished translating it into English.
NahkampfAufgaben.jpg

Back