Strange Modification to Feldmutze

Peter B

I have never seen anything like this before?

Any ideas?

Peter

Attachments

• 38F1F528-6E7E-41F0-9A71-BA0C59459A30.jpeg
    38F1F528-6E7E-41F0-9A71-BA0C59459A30.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • CC4F96A4-72D2-4902-8FC2-6015CCAA07B9.jpeg
    CC4F96A4-72D2-4902-8FC2-6015CCAA07B9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 65
  • 6C4CEDE9-28D1-437C-92DE-EBE07DD5E89A.jpeg
    6C4CEDE9-28D1-437C-92DE-EBE07DD5E89A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
I have never seen anything like that but it looks period done and obviously it is a neck shield. I am not a collector of these but does not the black band indicate pioneer/tech troops? Could this guy have been a tunneller for example?

Interesting possibility. I thought the band was blue but I think you are right that it is black.

Is the BA II a unit marking?

Peter

Peter, where are the cockades? Where are the front and back?

They are missing. (Maybe they fell off when the wearer was tunneling.....)

The front is the side opposite of the neck flap.

I have not personally seen it. Someone I occasionally buy stuff from has it for sale.

Peter

Isn't it a dark green cap with a black stripe and a red line around the stripe and the brim of the cap and wouldn't that be worn by the Jäger battalions?

Isn't it a dark green cap with a black stripe and a red line around the stripe and the brim of the cap and wouldn't that be worn by the Jäger battalions?

Noe sure but it still looks like a navy blue band to me.

The BA II is the Korps marking Pete. I have only had one of these in all my years of collecting, so I can't nail this down. Tony had dozens in his collection, he will know what branch of service this mutze comes from.

Last edited:
This is an interesting piece - thanks for sharing. The black band/red piping is artillery, pioneer, or technical troops. If it looks blue in person, that would likely be from either sun or chemical fading (a legit blue band with red piping would be an army surgeon, which this is probably not).

Another possibility might be prisoner of war. A lot of wartime photos of German POWs show the cockades missing (removed for Entente souvenirs maybe?) And it certainly looks like a homemade sun shield complete with ventilation holes. Maybe a crafty POW interned in a open, sunny camp? Just my $0.02!

~Jeff

Last edited:
It could also be a cap of the „Garde-Maschinengewehr-Abteilung Nr. 2“ (Greygreen cap with black stripe and red lines), which was assigned to the 2nd Battalion of the Garde-Grenadier-Regiment No. 4.

It could also be a cap of the „Garde-Maschinengewehr-Abteilung Nr. 2“ (Greygreen cap with black stripe and red lines), which was assigned to the 2nd Battalion of the Garde-Grenadier-Regiment No. 4.
If it were from a garde regiment wouldn't it need a KBAG or BAG mark then? BA II would just be standard army korps mark.

Modification is made up. To get more interest and shift the price. I saw that feldmutze in original shape and it had a big hole, some material was missing. So, sewn neck shield perfectly cover poor shap and mutze condition. Best regards, Milosz

Back