Strange Pickelhaube.. Fantasy or non german?

morel5000

Hi all,

is this from another country or just plain fantasy?

fronthda.jpg

lefttp.jpg

rightjt.jpg

bptm.jpg

detailjy.jpg

62312206.jpg

its not mine..

Best regards,
Michel

Michel,

I am no expert, but I would hazard a guess that the helmet is German, but it is probably for a city police force or possibly a fire officer. My first impression is perhaps from somewhere in Bavaria due to the lions heads and the cockade mounted on the side of the skull above the lion's head. But the harpy was also used a lot in the heraldry of East Frisia which was part of Prussia.

This helmet might have a connection with the city of Nürnberg. I think we can all agree that this most likely isn't a military pickelhaube.

As Michel above mentioned, the lion's head chinstrap hangers are distinctly Bavarian. The harpy on the wappen plate also looks almost exactly like the one on Nürnberg's coat of arms.

http://www.ngw.nl/int/dld/n/images/nurnberg.jpg

I meant to look up the coat of arms of the city of Nürnberg and then forgot all about it! I think this strengthen's the possiblity that the helmet is for some type of Nürnberg official.

Yes it is definitely a Nürnberg police OR helmet, probably Gemeindepolizei, made before 1918. Dating is only possible due to the cockade because this helmet type was worn from 1886 into the 1930s. Before 1918, towns with more than 5000 residents could select their own coat of arms if they wanted. After 1918 most other towns did the same, so there are numerous variations. Nürnberg units just kept their helmets without changes execpt for the cockades.

morel5000 said:
Hi All,

thanks for your replies. Is this rare helmet?

Best regards,
Michel

I've never seen this specific helmet before, however, sometimes value / rarity don't go hand in hand with Pickelhaube... it seems to me that the military types will always bring more than the civilian.
I bought one years ago from the city of Worms, with the cool double dragon plate on it (Fire / civil with the comb, not spike... but the plate sold me!), nobody bid on it on ebay, so I got it for minimum and I do mean minimum.
Perhaps another forum member can help you more.

:D Ron

Welcome to the forum and thanks for that photo. It's a great first post here!

Does that book "Polzei-Abzeichen" by Erich Radecke have any information on colonial Polizetruppe? I couldn't find much about the book online.

Cheers
Chris

Hi All,

I contacted the seller, who has two other nice Pickelhaubes for sale on that site... Guess what he is ... Pawel Nowak the famous scammer

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311468&highlight=pawel+nowak

so I guess I will not own it....

Best regards,
Michel

Back