Strange shoulderboard

USN

Good evening gentlemen,

I was digging around online ans came across this board on a uniform that I cannot identify, it looks similar to the luftschiff cypher but seems to have more flair on the L than what I've seen and also seems to have rank pips that I believe would belong to someone that holds a more civil rank? Could anyone inform me on what this is?

Screenshot_20240422_161909_eBay.jpg

I don't know what to make of it
It looks like Bavarian colors in the strap
the rank stars are not the correct ones for regular military
Steve

I don't know what to make of it
It looks like Bavarian colors in the strap
the rank stars are not the correct ones for regular military
Steve
I agree I have seen those styles of pips on beamte shoulder boards and on judiciary style uniforms.

Yes, this style of button is generally found on Beamte style boards. Some will have crossed keys and some will not. Shown in the Assmann & Sohne catalog as buttons for "Schutzpollizei, Kommunalpolizei und Gendarmerie" Specifically identified as "Rosetten fur Bayern".

So, I suspect your tunic is for the Bavarian Police.

I hope this helps.

The shoulder boards do not belong to this tunic and are not for the military. They are most likely for civil officials, possibly for customs officers. However I cannot figure out what the "L" monogram is for. I don't recall seeing something similar. Need some help from an expert in civil Beamte rank insignias.
The tunic is for a veterinarian officer.

Last edited:
The shoulder boards do not belong to this tunic and are not for the military. They are most likely for civil officials, possibly for customs officers. However I cannot figure out what the "L" monogram is for. I don't recall seeing something similar. Need some help from an expert in civil Beamte rank insignias.
The tunic is for a veterinarian officer.
Thank you for that information! It is also named on the inside to a man named kammermüller. I was hoping he'd be easy to track down but it's not proving to be very easy.

I think it is the uniform of an officer of the airship unit. At least the airshipmen had an "L" for "Luftschiffer" and the battalion number on their shoulder boards.
799B975B-5B93-4FB3-9D22-8FD19EC6BA92.jpeg
(Source: Imperial German Collar Tab, Epaulette, and Shoulder Board Identification Guide - Germandaggers.com)

I think it is the uniform of an officer of the airship unit. At least the airshipmen had an "L" for "Luftschiffer" and the battalion number on their shoulder boards.
Hi Sandy,

Indeed the one for the airship unit. It shouldn't be placed on this pair of boards, makes no sense to me. Whoever did it appears to me they don't know what they are doing.

I had noticed that it was similar to the airship cypher but as I stated earlier the cypher on the board appears to have a bit more flair and slightly different design on the L than the one from germandaggers.

It is possible that it's just a different maker or maybe the photos just aren't the greatest. Either way I agree that I see no sense in the construction of the boards.

An official (beamte) could not wear a regimental uniform, as I know.
The "germandaggers" its a good web-site but there are some inaccuracies , as I remember. To my opinion

If the straps are Bavarian, the Luftschiffer emblem would be just be the “L” without a battalion number as in Sandy’s example “Luftschiffer Betriebs-Abteilung” Plus Luftschiffer Batl 5 was a Prussian unit, (Graudenz, I.AK, raised in 1913). The backing would be gray as well, as in Steve’s beautiful set.
Cheers,
Dennis

Last edited:
Back