Study of the infanterie kokarden and wappen 1914-1918

KAGGR 1870

Hello
Here is the link for my study about infanterie pickelhaube kokarden and wappen worn during 1914-1918 war
Easy to read with two tables.
Soon I'LL translate the first page
http://sd-1.archive-host.com/membres/up/44716996513192290/Les_cocardes_et_plaques_des_casques_a_pointes_1914-1918.pdf
Regards

Hello
To help all that no read french language :( :crybaby:
here is the english translation of the first page of my study :D
Regards

Pickelhaube kokarden and wappen of the german infantry in 1914-1918
( B.Vitte. 2009)

The proclamation of the German empire (Deutsches Reich) take place in the “gallerie des glaces” of the palace of Versailles (France) on January 18th, 1871, in conclusion of the french defeat during the war 1870-1871
This empire is very original because it is in fact an confederated states with for proclaimed sovereign: Wilhem I.th of Prussia.
The result of this, in the imperial army, is the distinction of the various nationalities composing the empire.
This distinction is mainly visible at the level of the headgear.
For the pickelhaube, it is made with the wappen or / and the colors of the kokarde worn to the left.
In 1914, all german infantry wear the pickelhaube 1895/97 pattern, except Hessia who keeps his special pickelhaube with fluted spike and cruciform spike base.
For the kokarden, all wear two kokarden pattern 1867 modified 1895 with 51 mm in diameter:
the imperial kokarde black - white - red to the right and the national kokarde to the left.
These kokarden have serrated edge with the exception of both kokarden of Saxony and the kokarde of Hesse.(rounded edge)

2edwaok.jpg

Left to right 1- Imperial kokarde 2- Saxony- right side 3- Saxony-left side 4- Hessia- left side
For wappen we can distinguish several cases
A- Kingdoms and allied states independent of Prussia: this have their own wappen.
B- The small states, annexed or joined by the Prussia before 1871: that we can part in four categories:
1- State wearing the Prussian line eagle with the standard bandeau " Mit Gott für Köenig und vaterland " and one added state crest : Oldenbourg.
2-State wearing the Prussian line eagle with Fuerst instead of Köenig and one added state crest:
Anhalt, Brunswick, Saxony-Altenbourg, Saxony-Cobourg-Gotha, Saxony-Meiningen, Saxony-Weimar, Reuss, Schwarzbourg-Rudolstadt
3- State wearing the Prussian line eagle with, as only distinction, the national kokarde:
Hanseatic cities (Bremen, Lübeck, Hamburg), Lippe-Detmodt, Schaumbourg-Lippe, Schwarzbourg-Sonderhausen, Waldeck-Pyrmont.
4- State wearing the Prussian line eagle with a commemorative bandeau but with a Prussian Kokarde: Hanover and Nassau.
Wappen was made, until September 1915, in brass, tombac or in nickel silver, and after in iron painted in grey or galvanized.

Back