Summer Tellermuetze

Oberst

I recently acquired a nice Kaiserliche Marine sailor's white summer top Tellermuetze. I would appreciate some advice and information regarding two aspects of the cap.
The cap has a round metal grommet which gives the cap a round shape. The grommet has some light rust. I do not want the grommet to stain the white top. What would be good to do with it? Should I just remove it and keep it separate? Should I do some cleaning with light machine oil and/or fine grit sandpaper? I want the cap to keep its shape.
Also, behind the cockade in the cap's interior, there are upper and lower slots apparently designed to accommodate some sort of rectangular stiffener. I assume the stiffener was supposed to keep the front of the cap up and allow display of the cockade. Does anyone know what the stiffener was made of?
Thanks!

I would remove the ring, give it a cleaning and then a light coat of paint. The paint can be easily removed if need be and it will protect the metal from rusting. Waxing or oiling the ring may stain the cloth.

The stiffener in the front of my Kaiserliche Marine Mütze is made of celluloid (a combination of cellulose and camphor invented in 1869). Celluloid is considered the first form of plastic.
I have; however, seen others with wood stiffeners, paper or cardboard stiffeners, and leather stiffeners.
Since it is highly unlikely that you will find an original stiffener I would just use a piece of clear plastic or cardboard.

John :)

Thank you for your advice. Please excuse my tardiness in responding, but I only get to this website about once each month. Would Rustoleum be okay for painting the grommet?

Jagoffizier said:
Thank you for your advice. Please excuse my tardiness in responding, but I only get to this website about once each month. Would Rustoleum be okay for painting the grommet?

If it was mine I would probably just remove the light rust with some sandpaper and leave it alone. If there is a likelihood that it may rust again while on display I would use a clear, matte, spray lacquer and just give it a light coat after cleaning off the rust.

John :)

First let me make sure we are talking about the same item. When I said to paint the ring, I meant the wire loop that fits within the cap to give it its shape. As to the use of Rustoleum, yes it would work. I've found that Rustoleum requires a longer drying time then other paints, just make sure the paint is dry before reinstalling the loop back into the cap. You could just try clear finger nail polish. Other options would be to place some type of shield between the ring and cap material (Put loop into a plastic bag and then place back in cap). Good luck.

Thanks again. I think I will try the sand paper and plastic route initially. I truly appreciate the advice!

Back