Sword Identification

DASH

Hello - Can anyone identify and give me a brief description of the unit that used this Bavarian triple etched (obverse, reverse, spine top) sword?

The hilt is a gilted brass basket type, with Bavarian lion, which has folding front and rear guards. The grip is black composition. The nickeled blade is straight and slender, with a rolled top edge ending in a 14" swedge at trhe point. The scabbard is nickel overpainted with black paint.

The etched panels have a blued background. The obverse is etched with "Kgl. Bayr. 1 Chev. Rgt. Kaiser Nikolas v. Russland", with side panels of swords, helmets, crowns and cyphers. The reverse has the standard "In Treue Fest" motto.

It has a gold portepee with blue lines on the strap, slide, and stem. The ball insert is black.

Thanks, Dan

Sounds like a M89 Degen. here are some pics you can save which might help.

Sabel_1.jpg

Sabel_2.jpg

Wow - That was fast. It is closest to the lion pommeled # 14, but is more ornate and has the folding guards, much like a naval sword. Dan

Dan: From your description the sword is a Bavarian Cavalry Officers Degen. The blade inscription indicates that the owner was a member of the Royal Bavarian First Cheveleauger Regiment, Kaiser Nikolas v. Russland.

Blade engravings, hilt embelishments and folding guards were options available at extra cost. The following photographs illustrate the basic configuration of the hilt.

bkd89nk4.jpg

bkd89amb6.jpg

Reservist1

Thanks a lot guys, that is the sword (except mine has the folding basket and is a little more ornate).

Now to really show my ignorance, what is a "Cheveleauger Regiment", or does anyone know this regiments history, or where I can find some documentation on it?

Thanks again, Dan

DASH said:
//what is a "Cheveleauger Regiment //

Dan, the Cheveleauger were the Bayerisches (Bavarian) version of Dragoner (Mounted Rifles). Click HERE for a list of the Cheveleauger Regiments with uniform details. The set below is from Kgl. Bayer. 1. Chevaulegers-Regt.

dbt18g.jpg

Thanks Reservist1, Tony (and Kaiser). The information was exactly what I was hoping for. I have liked this sword for over 45 years, now I love it!!

Thanks again, Dan

Tony (and Kaiser) The helmet and uniform are a great set, and, come to think about it, would complement my sword nicely. If you ever tire of them.....hmmm, perhaps I should really be talking to Kaiser.

Dan

Dan: To add a little more information, the 1st. Bavarian Cheveleauger regiment was raised on June 29, 1682, and garrisoned in Nurnberg. During the period 1831 - 1849 the 3rd & 4th squadrons of the regiment were garrisoned in Amberg.

Reservist1

Thanks again. I'm having so much fun here I decided to press my luck with 2 more swords.

1) Prussian (#22), nickel basket hilt with Prussian eagle, black composition grip, straight blade. Etched with"1 Brandenb. Drag. Rgt. No2". My guess: 1st Brandenberg Dragoon Regiment, Squadron 2. I guess the Prussians had trouble spelling "Cheveleauger" too.

2) Prussian (#23), nickel reverse "P" hilt, sharkskin grip, curved blade. Etched with "Bespann. Abt. Fussartill.-Regt. Gen.=Feldzeugmeister (Brand.) No3". All I can decipher is "foot Artillery"

Dan

1. 1. Brandenburgisches Dragoner-Regt. Nr.2 (Schwedt a.O.) III Armee Korps

2. Fußartillerie-Regt. General-Feldzeugmeister (Brandenburgisches) Nr.3
(Mainz) XVIII Armee Korps

DASH said:
My guess: 1st Brandenberg Dragoon Regiment, Squadron 2. I guess the Prussians had trouble spelling "Cheveleauger" too.

Dan

Dan,

No, that's not Squadron 2. A lot of Prussian regiments had two numbers. This regiment is the 1. Brandenburgisches Dragoner-Regiment Nr.2 because it is the first dragoon regiment from Brandenburg, but it is the second line dragoon regiment in the Prussian army (the first line dragoon regiment being Dragoner-Regiment Prinz Albrecht von Preußen (Lithauisches) Nr.1). The second Brandenburg dragoon regiment was Dragoner-Regiment von Arnim (2. Brandenburgisches) Nr.12, and it was the twelfth line dragoon regiment in the army.

I hope that's clear as mud! :lol:

Tony (and Kaiser) Thanks for the explanation, but could you translate the explanation?

!) "1 Brandenb. Drag. Rgt. No.2". Is it the 1st Brandenberg Dragoon Regiment , squadron No. 2?

2) What does "Bespann. Abt. Fussartill.-Regt. Gen.=Feldzeugmeister (Brand.) No.3" mean?

Dan

Thanks for the explanation Mike. I was probably typing the post above when you answered.

So, as I see it, this is the 1st dragoon regiment from Brandenburg, but the 2nd line dragoon regiment (von Armin) in the Prussian army. (And the 2nd dragoon regiment from Brandenburg, was the 12th dragoon regiment in the Prussian army).

I think the Germans might have won the war if they didn't spend so much time in "organizational chart" classes.

Dan

What does "Bespann. Abt. Fussartill.-Regt. Gen.=Feldzeugmeister (Brand.) No.3" mean?

Dan:
The above abbreviations are Bespannungs Abteilung Fuss Artillery Regiment General Feldzuegmeister (Brandenburg) no.3.

A Bespannungs Abteilung was a draft horse detachment. The remainder of the inscription is the official name of the regiment.
The regiment weas raised in 1864 and garrisoned in Mainz.

Reservist1

DASH said:
Thanks for the explanation Mike. I was probably typing the post above when you answered.

So, as I see it, this is the 1st dragoon regiment from Brandenburg, but the 2nd line dragoon regiment (von Armin) in the Prussian army. (And the 2nd dragoon regiment from Brandenburg, was the 12th dragoon regiment in the Prussian army).

I think the Germans might have won the war if they didn't spend so much time in "organizational chart" classes.

Dan
Yes, that's correct on the numbers.

Well, you know the famous German reputation for organization and administration!

:? :? :? this stuff is easy! Wait until you get into the mid-war formations! eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

quote] think the Germans might have won the war if they didn't spend so much time in "organizational chart" classes. [/quote]

Gents (and weiner dogs),
The sword I have been researching is #18 in the picture of the catalog page. I've had great answers from y'all already, but could you please translate the description of #18 for me?
Thanks,
Ross

Back