Sword Identification

Thanks. I guess just one last basic question: everyone is calling it a lion-head sword, but then sometimes refer to it as a saber. What exactly is the difference, if anything, between a sword and a saber?'
Thanks,
Ross

Also, the old photos of people with swords are fascinating. Anyone happen to have (or know where to find) a photo of someone with a late 19th century lion's head sword?
Thanks again,
Ross

What exactly is the difference, if anything, between a sword and a saber?'

Ross: The term sword and saber are often used interchangeably. A saber is a sword with a curved blade. The German term is sabel. A straight bladed German sword is referred to as a Degen or a Pallasch.
The closest English meanings for these terms are; Degen=small sword, Pallasch = broadsword.

Reservist1

imroscoe said:
Also, the old photos of people with swords are fascinating. Anyone happen to have (or know where to find) a photo of someone with a late 19th century lion's head sword?
Thanks again,
Ross
Here's one of August von Mackensen, when he was just a mere Oberst, where you can see the sword pretty clearly.

oberstaugustvonmackensepj7.jpg

Here's another of Adolf II Fürst zu Schaumburg-Lippe, but you can't really see the lion's head because of his hand.

adolfiifrstzuschaumburgjs5.jpg

Hello

I would like to thank all who answered my sword questions - Tony & Kaiser, Reservist1, Mike, and Joe.

Especially Reservist1 for the blade translation (page 2), and Mike for the explanation and the confirmation of my understanding of Prussian regiment identification (page 2). I feel kind of stupid here, as I did not notice that the topic went to page 2 until tonight.

Thanks again, Dan

reservist1 said:
What exactly is the difference, if anything, between a sword and a saber?'

Ross: The term sword and saber are often used interchangeably. A saber is a sword with a curved blade. The German term is sabel. A straight bladed German sword is referred to as a Degen or a Pallasch.
The closest English meanings for these terms are; Degen=small sword, Pallasch = broadsword.

Reservist1

I like that blade especially a curved one.

Back