tall spike

gregM

OK- What's up with this spike ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pickelhaube-Preussen-Offizier-Infanterie-1-Weltkrieg-EK_W0QQitemZ180299436549QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180299436549&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Does the spike on this helmet look too tall or something? Maybe it's
just camera angle or lens distortion but the spike just looks odd to me.
This is described as an officer helmet. It has the 2 rings on the spike
and chinscales however it has domed rivets instead of stars. Maybe
this is a reworked helmet with some mismatched parts.

Greg

Hi

I'm no expert but the neck above the pearlring looks stretched out a bit, as though its been replaced, and is not a perfect fit.

Anyway its looks very odd.

Lets what the experts think

I'm no expert but the neck above the pearlring looks stretched out a bit, as though its been replaced, and is not a perfect fit.

I am no expert either, but you are dead on. In addition, the smooth studs look suspiciously tall.

This is described as an officer helmet. It has the 2 rings on the spike
and chinscales however it has domed rivets instead of stars.

Greg,

A great example of why you never trust the writeup! The mixture of rivets and rings is nothing unusual, but you need to know what it is. This article may be helpful.
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/new%20OneYearVolunteer.htm

Joe-Thanks for the link. That was a very informative article.

It seems to me that it would be fairly easy to confuse a OYV
helmet for a "Frankenstein" helmet put together from mis-matched
parts to be sold to unsuspecting buyers like myself. :?

I have seen very extended spike necks like this before, but only ever in conjunction with artillery ball tops. I don't like the look of the domed studs- too large in my opinion for this helmet...

This does not look natural to me. I have one elongated fashion spike officer helmet in my collection and the spike neck is of standard length. It is the spike top or cone itself that has been made taller to achieve the desired height not the spike neck. There is something definately "fishy" about this helmet spike. Brian

Back