Tank Corp Cap and Mask

siquisiri

Companeros,
Ive been collecting WWI Militaria for around 4 years, but have not yet posted all of my "stuff" I teach high school history in Southern California
and use these as teaching tools. Here are two of my favorites:

normal_PICT0166.JPG

normal_PICT0165.JPG

normal_PICT0161.JPG

Sorry for the quality. Ill post clear pics later.

saludos
francsico gonzalez

there is an excelent series that the BBC put out in the late 1970's called the Soldier series .It shows a section the development of tanks and the Soldiers that manned them . This series shows the Mk IV running and a crew manning it and how that mmask was used and why . It for it's day was a really well done bit.
Mark
Nice to se the mask and cap.

Old Northwest Trading Company, the sister company of Michigan Toy Soldier Company, is coming out with a line of scale WWI tanks, including a British MkIV:
http://www.oldnwtc.com/Old_NW_Site/products_folder/tgw-mark_IV/tgw-mark_IV_about_this_set.html

Peter
Emhar still has some Kits around and they are decent scale 1-35 as well as Scale Link have some as well . Smaller scale kitsin 1-48 are around by alot more companies now as well.
just for info
Mark

Z9,
You wouldnt have a copy of the soldiers series?

JC,
Ive read that although the masks were issued, they were rarey worn. If you've ever looked through one of the masks I cant imagine wearing one in battle, in 100 degree climate. The visibility is horrible. I have yet to see a pic of a soldier wearing one, although there are various pics of the soldiers with the masks on their belts or around their necks such as this famous pic:

tankers.jpg

saludos
francisco

I do not have a direct line to it.An officer who served in My Regiment used this series snd other's to show recruits the origins of the different branches of service.
Maybe one of the friends on the forum in England can help. I will check with my friend to see if it is available over here in NA.
The mask's were worn by the drivers and anyone near the Armour plating , bullets did not pierce the plate but would splinter it onto the inside . The series show's a very good imitation . The steel was boi;ler plate and not balisttic, it would look like water splash off a rain drop except the water being steel slivers.
There is one other version I have only seen an illustration and a remnant helmet , it was the brodie with the steel mesh drapped in the front , .
Nice mask and trench , where's his highness Tony ? A trench pic and no KAISER! Bread and water for you sir.
Mark

Hey Mark,
Did they start using this sort of prtection when they sent the MKIIs to the front lines, they were made from boiler plate rather than Armor plate, and were intended for training.
Gus

the tank was made of basic stell not any ballistic quality no specail additive , thickness equals protection. As for the other pattern helmet I do not know ehn it es issued or on what scale.
The Mk IV's , were slow and MG fire sustained on a particular part of the tank could cause a major problem .
The development of the Panzerknaker rifle , sorry if it is the wrong name . But the 13 MM version of the Gewer . My friend had one and it is a blown up version the G98 . with a bipod. Tese would ruin the day of the tank.
I have checked and I can not find the series here , the copies seem to have gonemissing.
The soldier series was made in the late 1970's and by the BBC . It is a good look at the Brittish Army and the branches of service . It also cover's how they train the Infantrymen , and why they use the methods they do .
It had at least 4 parts if not more.
About your question if they were used the fact you can see the mask on the belts or even that they have them means they were used , as if they were not , they would not be seen on the men.
The Belgia Tank museum has a buuetiful Preserved Mk IV Male and it shows the Interior .

http://www.klm-mra.be/tankmuseum/index.htm

Here is the link.
Mark

Back