Tchako

Dragon

I would like to get one of these. Since this guy often tries to flip repros I'm not sure about this one.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6604513236

Any clues?

:x OK YOU SMART PROS, nice fast responses but have you ever consider that some of us would want to LEARN?

In this example, maybe some of us would like to know WHY its a fake?

I think this forum is great but should not degerenate in an inside exchange for only 4 or 5 initiates...

And dont take this personal....

Dragon said:
:I think this forum is great but should not degerenate...... ..
Hey, I'll have you know I take pride in being a degenerate! 8-[

My advice, would be to first look at the item and judge for yourself. Now, if you go to this page:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh16.htm

You will see a nice original. Look at the liner, look at the quality of the stamping on the Wappen, look at the correct air vents, look at the rear visors and overall construction. Then compare to that so-called 'original' on ebay. I think you will soon see that you really can see for yourself what is good and what is not.

You can also do a search in this forum for Tschako, Shako, tchako, etc etc. I know Chas, Col. Ron, Herr X and others have posted some beautiful originals for comparison.

If not, that is valid and so is your point about short answers. Just let us know. Tony

Hi Dragon,
I can also send you several pictures of different types of Tschakos if you give me your email address. I even have one for sale. Not perfect condition but 100% original....
Bruno

Hi Dragon:

I apologize if my reply to your question gave the impression of being dismissive or flippant. However, as you have already discovered for yourself, this eBay seller traffics in fake items big time. He has been discussed so much here, and in other forums, I took for granted his wares might be regarded as anything but shoddy reproductions.

As Tony indicated, you can search the archives here and turn up splendid examples of originals.

We are here to help.

Chas.

The hat might be fake but the fungal growth looks 100% genuine. That would be enough for me. :stop:

Then you check his feedback - 85 negatives in the last 12 months! :evil3:

I think a real giveaway on this is the banner that reads "MIT GOTT FUR KOFNIC UND VATERLAND" I had to look close, but I think that is one of the crudest Wappen I have seen.
Gus

Dragon said:
but have you ever consider that some of us would want to LEARN?
It may just be a passing mood, but it seems to me whenever one is slammed and then told "dont take this personal....," exactly the opposite occurs.

Be that as it may, perhaps the eBay forum is not the best place for a tutorial on dissecting the fakes. By sharing our "SMART PRO" observations with those who desire to defraud, we may only guarantee the next generation of fakes will be even harder to detect.

I believe you have obtained value received on your original inquiry.

Chas. :D

Dragon,

I can feel your frustration, as sometimes I would like to know what exactly is wrong with a particular helmet or uniform that may seem interesting to me.

While it certainly would be nice for each helmet question posted to have the exact things that are wrong with it listed it's not always feasible or necessary. What I have learned it sometimes better to ask a pointed question i.e. "Do you guys see anything wrong with this helmet wappen and if so what?" Generally this will garner a very thorough answer from the group.

If you ask a general question " What do you guys think of this helmet" you may get a general answer that says..." Stay away, piece of junk." Unless you ask about specifics, people may not realize you are asking for them.

This learning process is not a easy one...conversly the teaching process is not easy either.

John

Hey Chas,
I think you are taking the comments a bit too strong, and I disagree that this is not a good place for a tutorial on dissecting the fakes, I doubt that the fakers can really learn that much, for the most part, they are limited to the technology available. A great deal of the fakes are already in the system, and we need to be tactful in the manner that we discuss them. A lot of the items are owned by someone that believes that they are real, and to flippantly dismiss their items will do the hobby little good, as this will just alienate people that we really want to welcome into the area of knowledgeable collecting. We tend to get off topic often, and engage in a great deal of foolishness, but this is a friendly forum, and the childishness is part of what has brought the core members together (it might be noted that we have some very new members in the "core" group, the way to become a member of the core group is to contribute). tHE POINT i AM TRYING TO MAKE, IS THAT WE NEED TO KEEP IT FRIENDLY, (crap, I hate the caps lock button) Ask questions when some one posts something that is difficult to understand, and be open to any criticism that we get, but most important, have fun and learn.
Gus (sorry, I off my meds again)

Gustaf said:
I disagree that this is not a good place for a tutorial on dissecting the fakes....A lot of the items are owned by someone that believes that they are real, and to flippantly dismiss their items will do the hobby little good, as this will just alienate people that we really want to welcome into the area of knowledgeable collecting.
Hi Gus:

We're talking about two separate issues. I know you can't mean items owned by eBay sellers with dubious credentials and abysmal feedback records (as in the subject of this topic).

I would be willing to bet the Helmets on eBay forum receives more attention than any other on the site simply because it can affect the outcome of commerce. Recall for a moment what occurred this past weekend with "Redensberg2." I must have spent an hour or more sorting that one out to help Tom (not to mention Margo's time early Sunday morning).

John certainly hit the nail on the head.

JohnM said:
If you ask a general question " What do you guys think of this helmet" you may get a general answer that says..." Stay away, piece of junk." Unless you ask about specifics, people may not realize you are asking for them.
Because Helmets on eBay is so contentious, I regard it as a poor venue for analyzing fakes in detail. If one wishes to learn, I would propose Pickelhaube Discussion as more appropriate place to tackle such matters.

In fact, I spent considerable time last night photographing an M15 Tschako in detail for Dragon, cropping and correcting the images, and uploading them to a hosting site. By this evening, this information will be available for all to see, but not here.

Any clues?

Chas.

Thanks for your comments and specially to Tony for the reference. I guess I'll try to do my research first before asking a more specific question. :oops:

Mario

Hi Mario:

I just finished the Tschako post mentioned above. This is the link.

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1003

I hope this helps.

Good luck with your collecting. There are no rules here, just an exchange of ideas.

Chas.

Back