Telegraphen Dunkelblau Shoulder Straps Completed

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
This month after 30+ years of searching I finally completed the Telegraphen-Bataillon shoulder straps worn by Mannschaften (ORs) on the Dunkelblau Waffenrock. This means they all have dark blue wool backings.

Red straps with yellow lightning bolts were worn 1899 to 1910. AKO 30 June 1911 directed all Mannschaften shoulder straps be changed to light grey with a T plus Btln. number This directive also applied to all Verkehrstruppen (Technical Troops) to include Eisenbahn, Kraftfahr, Luftschiffer, and Flieger.

Rather than slap down a wad of cash and buy an instant collection, I collected these the 'normal' way. Strap by strap by strap over 30+ years. Very satisfying to remain focused and finally have them all.

Telegraphen_Small.jpg

Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr.1 (Berlin) Garde-Korps

Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr.2 (Frankfurt a.O./Cottbus) III Armee Korps

Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr.3 (Coblenz/Darmstadt) IX Armee Korps

Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr.4 (Karlsruhe-Freiburg) XIV Armee Korps (3rd Komp of TB Nr. 4 wore a Württemberg Wappen in silver)

Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr.5 (Danzig) XVII Armee Korps

Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr.6 (Hannover) X Armee Korps

Kgl. Sächs. Telegraphed-Bataillon Nr.7 (Dresden) XII Armee Korps

Here are three Telegraphen-Bataillon Tschako. The M1907 is not unit marked, so it could be Telegraphen, Luftschiffer, or Flieger. The Ersatz Filz Tschako is marked to Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr.2. The M1915 Tschako is marked to Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr.2.

Telegraphen.jpg

Finally, below are links to each of these if anyone is interested in more images of each helmet.

Model 1907 Preußen Telegraphen or Luftschiffer Tschako

dbh93.jpg

Ersatz Model 1907 Preußen Filz Telegraphen Tschako

fgh43.jpg

Model 1915 Preußen Telegraph Battalion 3 Tschako

fgh20.jpg

Superb T, I love the display of Shakos. I've never seen those strap in wear but would love to. In recent years Ie become more appreciative of the support units like telegraph and train.

Tony:

Congratulations on the completion of this quest.

I'm with you regarding the "normal" collecting method. In my view, the research and the hunt are most of the fun.

Me too, the hunt is the best part, after that research the history behind the artifact and its authenticity is most of the joy. Sharing your prize with fellow collectors is a close third...

Congratulations T, another “quest completed “ well done! I have one 1899-10 strap to contribute and a OYV photo which I will post shortly just to add another example here.

Many thanks and glad that was interesting. I should have mentioned it was the Saxon TB7 strap that I was missing. What complicated that, was that TB7 wasn’t raised until 1913, the Germans were well into the M1907 Feldgrau issue, and probably not many Dunkelblau Waffenrock were made for TB7 before they went to war.

Tony,
Thanks for sharing the pictures and information on your recent additions to your amazing collection.
Best regards
John

Congratulations Tony, a really nice set and well deserved reward for over 30 years of perseverance. :)

Here is my lone T strap.
74FB3F21-05B2-49F1-B38A-BF4C4A7733F9_1_201_a.jpeg
I am not exactly sure of the significance of the black and white cloth strip...Telegrapher school grad?
D45FF1B3-026F-4028-ABE7-5D365291C9CF_1_201_a.jpeg
The strap is very stiff as the cloth has been stitched around some sort of re enforcement.

Attachments

• 15E05CA8-5E67-40FB-BDBE-FEB891EBBFA9_1_201_a.jpeg
    15E05CA8-5E67-40FB-BDBE-FEB891EBBFA9_1_201_a.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Very nice.

The German Pioneers, Technical Troops and Train, Herr and Nguyen (2017). P.264

After passing the examination to become a Field Telegraphist, NCOs and Other Ranks could attach a white braid with stripes to the end of their shoulder straps and continue to wear this at all subsequent positions.”

Tony: Fantastic collection! I’m wondering if the Wurttemburg detatchment of the Prussian telegraph battalion No.1, whore the same shoulder strap as the Prussians did? Cheers. Dick

Sigh…….yes, that was a hard piece to part with. However, it is now part of a world class collection.

I totally agree with your method of sourcing these, Tony. The hunt is one of the best aspects of the hobby!

Incredible pieces you have there!

Back