THAT small? Really?

Jaap Verduijn

Now what do we have here? Look at the relationship between the sizes of the Kokarden and the helmet itself! Really that small? Indeed, if I read correctly, the size could be 36!!! But that seems impossible... A very remarkable Train helmet to say the least. Can't afford it - otherwise I might consider buying because, regardless of the weird size, it looks genuine. Except the chinstrap, which may be an (old) replica - or not: it may even be a well-preserved original although the leather seems to be a bit on the thickish side. Doesn't matter anyway: this being Train, I'd replace the chinstrap with curved brass chin scales.

Pity we can't ask Herr Dürnagel anymore :) because I'm totally out of my depth here. That small a size doesn't make sense to me. On the other hand: it really doesn't look like the creative work of a "Bastler" to me. I would really like to examine this specimen in real life.

382267505118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been in doubt about that, whether it reads 36 or 56, Tony... 36 doesn't make much sense (not even a Hobbit could wear that), but 56 seems too large.

When you look at the size of the whole thing, compared with the hand of the seller and the Kokarden, the ratio seems off. On the other hand, the Kokarden themselves are weird, far larger than they should be so that may be misleading.

The Knöpfe 91 and the width of the (hardware of the) chinstrap are also rather large compared with the whole thing. It's difficult to judge from pictures though - I'd love to handle that helmet, to actually see and feel it.

The Kokarden are weirdly suspicious or suspiciously weird, and the chinstrap is probably replica. Apart from that, I think we have a good and genuine specimen here. If I were a rich man (Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle dum), I would certainly consider buying this nice Train Pickelhaube. Everything (except Kokarden and chinstrap) looks good to me. With addition of chin scales instead of the doubtful strap I'd really like to have this one!

General remark about the Pickelhaube virus: It can never be beaten, and is totally resistant against the passing of time and the disappearance of money. Here I am: bought myself a cheap Indian Pickelfake only weeks ago, and now I'm regularly checking EBay for real ones, knowing very well that such a purchase would prevent me from eating during several weeks. But... who needs food when there are so many Pickelhaubes around? :D :D :D

Hi 911Car! You were just ahead of me, remarking about the Kokarden! So that's what they are: fake Kurassier/JzP ones! Thanks!

Jaap Verduijn said:
aicusv, if you have the irresistible urge to part with one, maybe we can work out a deal :D
Here is a photo of the better of the two.
2ytz76e.jpg

A previous owner decided to take the helmets apart and replace the liners, then gave up on the project. I purchased a lot of his "junk" parts. At this point I do have the visors re-stitched onto the helmet (only took 6 months). I'm putting this helmet back together to use in public takes I give on WWI. Rather than letting people handle a good helmet, but they still get to see an original.
The other helmet has a rear visor with the thinnest leather I've ever seen on a helmet. It is so thin it flaps, there is an extra piece of leather attached to where the rear spine fastens. I've seen chin straps with thicker leather than this visor. Visor is stamped with date and unit marks.

"(...) I'm putting this helmet back together to use in public takes I give on WWI. Rather than letting people handle a good helmet, but they still get to see an original (...)"

Good thinking, mate :thumb up: !

I vote 56cm...no way that is a 32cm and yes TB 8. As far as the repro chin strap goes, the give away is the wide gap in the leather where the M91 fitting hooks over the side posts. The original chinstraps were pulled tight under the chin and the leather was stretched tight at those points, so no gap. Original chin straps and liners were covered in human sweat which involves skin oils, salt, water and God only knows what else. This is also the reason why so many original liners and chinstraps are so fragile, or missing. These black helmets were worn on the head which as we Northerners know, is the greatest heat loss source on the body. I will gladly wear a black toque or Balaclava in the winter -20 C/F but I sure as hell don't want to wear it in August. There are certain human realities which have to be taken into account in the pickelhaube world.

Thanks, 56 it is! The pompous Kokarden misled my old and feeble brain :D ! Brian's argument about the too wide gaps at the "hook up" points makes perfect sense... on order to be original they should have been drawn more tightly indeed. It's good to keep learning!

Back