The Chauchat, the first specifically designed assault rifle.

Gustaf

Staff member
I have been able to ad an example of the Chauchat, the first specifically designed assault rifle. It is not the best example, I would have rather had alive papered one, but this demilled one displays well enough until I can upgrade.

Contrary to popular myth, it is a rather well made weapon, copied from a Browning design.

usa1918 said:
Gustav

Better than mine...Need your magazine back?

Keith

Ha ha, I still have enough, it is not like I am going to need to reload quickly. I have a set of pouches coming from France, reproductions, but that is the best I can find now. I was disapointed that the post office would not allow me to ship a magazine via "media mail" They claimed that magazines had advertizing and that disqualified them. I assured them that this magazine had no advertising, but they would not budge.
Best
Gus

I managed to locate a set of reproduction pouches for the Chauchat, I do not think I have ever seen an original set for sale, the Ruby pouch does turn up now and then and they bring crazy prices. These pouches are well made and match the drawings exactly,so they will have to do.

Peter_Suciu said:
That is a top notch display. He looks like he is warming by the stove before heading back out.
If you look close, you will see the stove is dated 1918:)

Gus,

Beautiful piece! There is footage on YouTube of guys firing their Chauchats. Very slow cyclic rate.

Here are my Chauchat pouches....

Back