The continuing saga of landsturm headgear

joerookery

I have several now, where the leader wears a pickelhaube. The rest seemed to be somewhat mixed, shall we say. I remember long ago, when Tony and I had a tug-of-war and I was trying to pull him into my little box.
landsturmhats.jpg

That guy has the missing wappen for my M1860 shako and I would like it back!

Joe, I think it was extremely thoughtless for these guys to take photos and then not annotate their names and why they were wearing particular forms of headdress on that day. By not doing so they have created all sorts of problems for researchers 90 years later.

I should get all the guys in my unit to pose in various forms of pickelhaubes, take a photo, and then let the researchers try to figure it out in the year 2090.

joerookery said:
I remember long ago, when Tony and I had a tug-of-war and I was trying to pull him into my little box.
Hey! I would be more than happy to jump in. This is really interesting. Could it be for the Landstrum the same as say, Train? Where the men wore Tschako and the officers wore Pickelhaubes? Of course, I have no refs with me. Tony (in LA on Geschäftsreise)

joerookery said:
LA stinks Tony why would you want to go there? I bet you're having fun with the traffic! I don't think the references will help much with this, but maybe they will. I love digging, and this one has been a real tough nut that I was so certain I understood. You didn't take the recipe for crow down to LA with you, did you? I still need it.
I'm actually in Long Beach. Very nice people down here, very beautiful downtown, and warm! I am having a grand time. I think you are quite correct, having my refs on this problem would serve no purpose. I have banged my head on this Landturm question for years. Tony (temporarily in LA)

Otto, bring the truck, we will stop at Dave's on the way back.
Gus

PS Wait, are Tony's dogs at home? If so, abort.

Joe, is the photo of the guy wearing Bund Hosen dated? Looks like he might be a member of one of the Einwohnwehr.

I suppose that underpass guard protected the bridge by causing the attackers to laugh themselves to death. What a getup! :)

Chip

I think it makes sense that the officer would not wear the shako. Different and superior headdress would set the tone. These are all middle aged men of lesser status. There is no way the officer is going to want to wear the EM style shako or the oil cloth visor cap. In addition, what officer would want to have to purchase another form of head gear just because they have evolved into the landwehr due to the passage of time? My 2 cents worth. Brian

Judging by the baton in his hands, he is the bandmaster. Is the sash part of his designation as such? Note that he does not have swallows nests.

Back