The first helmet of 2013, and it is a good one… get ready

Lost Skeleton

The above is, of course, a playful tribute to an eye-popping post by the regrettably "departed" Tony Schnurr, who shared his brilliant IR.92 III Bat. officer with us in late 2009:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, my offering is more a bookend to another equally brilliant IR.92 III Bat. private purchase helmet in the inestimable collection of Herr Schnurr:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh78.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Say hello to IR.92 I/II Bat. to parade (I apologize for the quality of the photos as my Olympus is experiencing white balance issues, which defy Photoshop correction):

IR92-front_zps9dcabd2d.jpg

Though private purchase, the helmet shares several features in common with a regulation M1891 issued helmet.

The rear spine is sans ventilation shutter:

P1010065-1.jpg

Instead, the spike neck rotates to shutter the ventilation holes:

Open:

P1010063.jpg

Closed:

P1010062.jpg

The Wappenadler with Fuerst bandeau is retained with threaded posts:

P1010047-1.jpg

The Kokarden and chinstrap are fitted via system Knopf 91 (note the hefty chinstrip hooks):

P1010066-1.jpg

P1010054.jpg

As for the rest:

The Kokarden are Uffz. mit Portepee pattern:

P1010057.jpg

The Braunschweig Landeskokarde is nonferrous and paint over gilt:

P1010056-1.jpg

The interior:

P1010067.jpg

Now, for the all important Wappen and Heinrich des Löwe star:

The tall profile Fuerstum eagle has brass flashing connecting the wings and legs. This characteristic is found on Preußen Wappen spanning models 1842-1887, but is absent on subsequent models 1891-1915.

P1010046-2.jpg

P1010047-1.jpg

The star is Neusilber:

P1010051-1.jpg

In one of those "remorseful collector" moments, I heard a "clunk" when I removed the Wappenadler from the helmet to photograph it. The sound was the lower threaded post of the star separating from the lead solder. Thanks to the generosity, patience, and expertise of reservist1, the post was reattached by carefully positioning it in its original spot and reheating the old solder. I shall not mess with it again.

P1010049-1.jpg

With so many IR.92 fakes on the market — most featuring bogus Reserve stars on Preußen Landwehr/Reserve eagles — it's gratifying to find a bona fide specimen. The parade Trichter is black horsehair (unfortunately, I don't have the spike). Finally, the helmet came with its original traveling case.

Congratulations, superb!!

As it happens I've been reading the Reichsarchiv issues about the Battle of the Marne 1914 ("Das Marnedrama 1914") for the last couple of days, in which the activities of IR 92 in the neighbourhood of St. Prix and the surrounding woods in those fateful september days are dealt with in detail.

An IR 92 helmet is still on my wish list...

regards

Marcel

Back