The Forgotten Faschinenmesser

Hello,
Let me thank you for your previous post on the Seitengewehr M1892. It's taken me a long time to find what type of sword this is. we've had one in the family for a long time!

Could you be able to help and identify which unit our sword came from with the markings? Only if this isn't too much trouble, of course.

The Sword hilt is stamped just like yours, but with "3.A.1.33." The Sheath is stamped with ɤ.M.3.30. (the ɤ is upside down as you look at it on the sheath compared with the numbers and Letter).

Other markings are a Crowned L, 93.

James

happy new year!

i believe this is the M1845 Saxon Faschinenmesser. could someone please help with the Regimental markings?
they read 48. G.B.H. 174.

interestingly enough, by searching the web i found out that this same sword was sold unidentified in August of 2016,
would be nice to know at what price... any idea on its value in this condition? thank you

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/late-1800s-side-sword-sheath-marked-1827666402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The markings on your side arm are as folowing
48.Garnisons Batallion Handwerker( workman)nbr 174

Nice one though

Jonas

GBH - does mean it was a labor battalion? A non-combat unit, assigned to physical work.

I guess so, and for that reason they where equiped with side arms instead of a bajonet
If i am not correct please feel free to corect me

Jonas

Hi,
I got this from my grand mother estate
Can you tell me little about this and its markings?
I believe markings are 106.R.E4.197

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

Thanks,
Marko

In geman it states
ERSATZ-BATAILLON DES INFANTERIE REGIMENT
in englsch it means
REPLACEMENT BATTAILION OF AN INFANTRY REGIMENT

Nice faschinenmesser😉😉

Jonas

kaiser said:
In geman it states
ERSATZ-BATAILLON DES INFANTERIE REGIMENT
in englsch it means
REPLACEMENT BATTAILION OF AN INFANTRY REGIMENT

Nice faschinenmesser😉😉

Jonas

There's a finnish phrase. "Nälkä kasvaa syödessä" (hunger grows when eating)
Do you know when this unit has been active and this faschinenmesser may also have been "in duty"?

From another forum i got answer that this is m/1840 is it correct?

Several months ago I installed an "extension" to my Mozilla web browser called "photobucket embed fix" which solved this problem. Google that and add it to your browser.

I'm on an Apple, but will check it out. The fixes that I've seen were all for Window systems.

Back