The Good Soldier Svejk

911car

I was in Prague yesterday and walking on the streets at night I came upon this mysterious fresco. I cannot speak or read Czech, of course, but when I saw the name "Svejk" I realized it was probably related to "The good soldier Svejk", the very famous satirical novel (1921) that describes the life of a czech soldier in world war one.

L1010345.JPG
L1010316.JPG

That would be the Gendarm he met while he was making his way to the front after getting left behind by his regiment.

My introduction to Good Soldier Svejk actually came from the book Good Camarad Schweik, by Helmut Putz. I found the book when I was still in high school and it was so interesting that I searched for the prequel by Jaroslav Hašek. Good Soldier Svejk is even better, but Putz did do a very good job of moving Svejk into the 1950s.

Thanks for posting this Bruno! It brings back many good memories of my days living in Prague. I went by this place countless times, but unfortunately never stopped to go inside. There used to be a junk shop, and an auction house around the corner, both of which I used to stop at. I think the tram line I used all the time went right by this place, which was located at the bottom of the hill near the funicular below Prague Castle, the Loretto, and the Strahov Monastary. I lived about 10-blocks from Prague Castle on top of the hill, and that whole area was very busy during tourist season, with several million visitors in the warmer months. I hope that you enjoyed your visit, and were able to partake in some good Czech beers!

Best Regards,

Alan

Back