The Holy Grail!

flasheart

Chaps,

I finally found an original WW1 1917-dated AIF tunic; an extraordinarily rare item.

For the most part these tunics were worn out, discarded/burnt during demobilisation in Europe, or worn by the returned soldiers during the Great Depression and beyond. Whatever happened, very few have survived and most are either in the Australian War Memorial or in private collections. Prices, therefore, have become prohibitive. For what I paid for this tunic, I cetainly could have purchased 1907/10 and maybe a bluse to go with it.

The colour patch is for Headquarters Australian Corps (formed on 1 November 1917 from elements of I and II ANZAC Corps, and commanded by General Birdwood, and then LTGEN John Monash from May 1918 onwards).

I certainly envy the American WW1 collector with so many US uniforms preserved in near mint condition for the past 90 years.

Original WW1 dated slouch hats are similarly rare - some photos of my two WW1 slouch hats attached. Breeches are basically non-existent.

Some photos

Mike

WW1AussieTunic-AustCorpsHQa.jpg

WW1AussieTunic-AustCorpsHQb.jpg

WW1AussieTunic-AustCorpsHQd.jpg

WW1AussieTunic-AustCorpsHQc.jpg

WW1AussieTunic-AustCorpsHQe.jpg

WW1AussieTunic-AustCorpsHQf.jpg

An English manufactured infantry slouch hat, dated 1917,
DSC03752.jpg

An Australian manufactured Light Horse slouch hat, also dated 1917,
DSC03746.jpg

Hey Mike,
This is a very nice addition, they are rare indeed. When you get tired of it, you can send it to Idaho.
Gus

Tony & Kaiser said:
flasheart said:
For what I paid for this tunic, I cetainly could have purchased 1907/10 and maybe a bluse to go with it.

Mike, you paid over $5K USD for that AIF tunic? Wow!
Hey Tony,
It is not like that is real money, if it had been Euros, then that would have been something.
Gus

Tony,

Not quite that much but pretty close. The last and only AIF tunic I have ever seen on ebay sold for more than that- quite extraordinary.

Some photos of AIF soldiers wearing this tunic.

An Australian platoon prior to the Battle of Amiens.
Amiens.jpg

Studio portrait
group.jpg

Private John Hines, 45th Battalion AIF. Nicknamed the 'The Souvenir King' for obvious reasons.
thesouvenirking.jpg

Nice, I have three original 1st AIF tunics, all Australian made, one 8th Battalion , one 2nd Battalion and one 53rd Battalion. I agree they just are not around anymore, I bought mine in the early eighties in Sydney and Melbourne, to be honest I have seen none for offer since the eighties, WW2 stuff is getting expensive now as well, theres a lot of that people are just willing to pay over enflated prices on EBay, the route of all evil!!

Cheers,

Colin

Excellent tunic congrats! I was wondering if there was a practical reason why the buttons are Bakelite? and not brass?

Back