The Kaiser's Collection

Do you hapen to know the use of the last tunic you show on the video? The open collar field grey one with field marshall boards. It looks like the TR ss and political ones.
I think this jacket is the most special one in the collection, a civilian style military uniform. Curator told me it was made for Kaiser's upcoming Africa tour in 1914 or 1915. The tour never took place because WW1 broke out. IMO it was a trial jacket for Wilhelm since he had the hobby of designing his own uniforms, just like Wilhelm's tour to the Levant in 1898 where he and his stuff wearing specially made uniforms.
Descriptions are in the video too but in Chinese, sorry hhhhh.

Jpvi
Many thanks for this wonderful post.
I saw things that I had not seen before .
Did you have a friend along to shoot the video ?
Or was it done by H D staff ?
Steve
Steve,
You're welcome! I went there with a friend. We are both doing research projects on Kaiser WII's uniforms so we are granted a permission to visit. If there could be a next time I will try to generate better photographs and videos, depending on if I can get the permission; now there's the museum's copyright issue.

I think this jacket is the most special one in the collection, a civilian style military uniform. Curator told me it was made for Kaiser's upcoming Africa tour in 1914 or 1915. The tour never took place because WW1 broke out. IMO it was a trial jacket for Wilhelm since he had the hobby of designing his own uniforms, just like Wilhelm's tour to the Levant in 1898 where he and his stuff wearing specially made uniforms.
Descriptions are in the video too but in Chinese, sorry hhhhh.
Thanks, its a really modern uniform for the period one must wonder how he would have weared shuch a piece and what awards and helmets would acompany him in such an aventure.

Again many thanks Jvpi for this most wonderful video.

Does anyone know if there has ever been a book published by the Museum that catalogs the Kaisers uniforms, helmets and personal items they have on hand? Thanks in advance

Not that I know of, here is the webshop of Huis Doorn, no mention of it.
I also saw nothing like that when I visited Huis Doorn in 1992.

Thanks for the response, I did have a quick look at the webshop of Huis doorn but didn't see anything. I will reach out to Stefan Rest, he has always been a nice guy and very responsive. Who knows maybe he will think its a good idea for a future project. Everything to publish the book would be in one location maybe they could do a collaboration with the Museum.
It would certainly be a wonderful book and I'd think a good seller. It really needs to be done.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, I did have a quick look at the webshop of Huis doorn but didn't see anything. I will reach out to Stefan Rest, he has always been a nice guy and very responsive. Who knows maybe he will think its a good idea for a future project. Everything to publish the book would be in one location maybe they could do a collaboration with the Museum.
It would certainly be a wonderful book and I'd think a good seller. It really needs to be done.
I fully agree with that, the collection there is really awesome. I saw most of it on display there, it needs to be seen for all, they keep it above now,
but a book, showing all would be excellent.
I can understand why they keep it so private, none the less, it should be seen.

Does anyone know if there has ever been a book published by the Museum that catalogs the Kaisers uniforms, helmets and personal items they have on hand? Thanks in advance
Dear all,

Thank you for this great post. I‘ve been twice to Huis Doorn.

There was an exhebition about Wilhelm II and Doorn in Germany in 1991 which was accompanied by a very nice catalogue with many pictures of his uniforms and helmets. Unfortunately only in German.

Best wishes,

GardeUlan

Letzte Kaiser: Wilhelm II. im Exil​

Cover

Hans Wilderotter, Klaus-D. Pohl
Bertelsmann Lexikon Verlag, 1991

Mark Felton reports on the kaiser's personal uniforms and helmets at Huis Doorn.

Mister Felton is not correct in some things he is telling in this video...
1-he states that the Kaiser's Kürassier Regt "Königin" (Pommersches)Nr.2 is one of only four Kü Regts that were allowed to wear the white metal helmets...Let us list them up: Tomback for GdC-Garde Kü-Kü Nr.6. The Regts Numbers 1-2-3-4-5-7-8 wore the white metal Kü helmets.
2-he tells that the Kü Regt "Königin" (Pommersches) Nr.2 rode in all eight charges that 12th August 1914 at Halen. The Battle of the Silver Helmets...wrong...
3-He Identifies the Kaiser's Tschapka for the Ulanen Regt Nr.13 as the Tschapka for Ulanen Regiment Nr 20.?but. .that would have been a Württemberg Regiment...).

Last edited:
Mister Felton is not correct in some things he is telling in this video...
1-he states that the Kaiser's Kürassier Regt "Königin" (Pommersches)Nr.2 is one of only four Kü Regts that were allowed to wear the white metal helmets...Let us lust them up: Tomback for GdC-Garde Kü-Kü Nr.6. The Regts Numbers 1-2-3-4-5-7-8 wore the white metal Kü helmets.
2-he tells that the Kü Regt "Königin" (Pommersches) Nr.2 rode in all eight charges that 12th August 1914 at Halen. The Battle of the Silver Helmets...wrong...
3-He Identifies the Kaiser's Tschapka for the Ulanen Regt Nr.13 as the Tschapka for Ulanen Regiment Nr 20.?but. .that would have been a Württemberg Regiment...).

Great focus, to be honest I didn't hear a word he said, I was to busy drooling and trying to look in the closet to see what he wasn't showing.

Dear all,

There was an exhebition about Wilhelm II and Doorn in Germany in 1991 which was accompanied by a very nice catalogue with many pictures of his uniforms and helmets. Unfortunately only in German.

Best wishes,

GardeUlan

Cover

Thank for the information (y) I'm all in and have found one and placed an order thanks to your response and I think I'm not the only one.
mfg , John

Dear all,

Best wishes,

GardeUlan

Cover

I have seen the exhebition in Berlin and bought the catalog there. It was empressive.

Steve,
You're welcome! I went there with a friend. We are both doing research projects on Kaiser WII's uniforms so we are granted a permission to visit. If there could be a next time I will try to generate better photographs and videos, depending on if I can get the permission; now there's the museum's copyright issue.
Great info
Many thanks
I know of 2 times that they allowed photos to be taken
and published in books
1. Kube
2. The French book Vol. 2 many photos of the items of KW II
Steve

Back