The Kaiser's Dachshunds

Liongules

Hey, Tony & Kaiser,

I was watching episode 1 of The First World War tonight and there was a film clip in there of the Kaiser, in navy uniform, on the deck of a ship and for quite some time, maybe 20-30 seconds, he was playing with a dachshund that was at his feet. It was a cute scene. :)

Tony- I saw it too awile ago on a DVD I own. If I can find it, I will borrow it to you. Or at least leat you know what series it was on.

James

Tony & Kaiser said:
Mike, was it on TV? Or do you have the tape?
Tony,

It's a series that currently running on TV on Discovery's Military Channel on Tuesday nights. It's based on Hew Strachan's book The First World War.

The DVD is available for purchase from The Discovery Channel at

http://shopping.discovery.com/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?endecaSID=10C0685C74CD&langId=-1&storeId=10000&productId=59483&catalogId=10000

and it's also on Evil Bay, for a little less cost, at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110002261400&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores

I don't own a copy, but I will soon!!! :D

I am a little hesitant to have to buy a 4 CD set just to get small clip converted to mpeg. But, if I have to, I will.

What I have really been trying to find for years, is a clip that I saw years ago on a WW1 series on PBS. I don't know the series, could have been "The Great war" or World war One" or who knows. But there was a short clip of Kaiser William II walking by a Garde officer who is holding the door to a car or a carriage, and William steps in. Then a little dachshund comes racing up and cannot get up into where the Kaiser is, and the Garde officer bends down, picks him up and places him inside. I howled when I saw it. And I have been looking for it ever since. :sad7:

yes Tony I believe it to be the same series the section you saw was i believe during the Kaiser's visit to Austria to encourage the Hapsburgs to stay the course. It is currently showing on the Military Channel in the US and was on PBS about a year or so ago (here in Ontario anyway .) it shows alot of then and now pics and films of all fronts .
Hope this is right .
there will be aseries on the Somme on History Channel this Friday about the Somme Done by BBC and this one has the Germans there.
Mark
P.S. if I get the funds requested his highness will have to be fitted. read other link.

Back