The last Armee-Korps, equipped with an Ersatz helmet

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
After two months of no updates, here is one that I hope will make up for that. A very scarce set, the matching Ersatz Model 1895 Preußen Fibreboard Pickelhaube, Model 1895 XXI Armee-Korps Waffenrock, and Schirmmütze. I believe this to be an appropriate grouping, as the XXI Amree-Korps was the last Amree-Korps raised and was not on the order-of-battle until 1912, so it is quite common in early-war photos to see recruits in Dunkelblau wearing Ersatz helmets.

To see the Pickelhaube click HERE.To see the Schirmmütze click HERE. To see the Waffenrock click HERE.

dbt36g.jpg

fgh25d.jpg

Nice example! You got a really good price on this one too. I was planning on putting my history of XXI Army Corps up on eBay. It's around here somewhere just got to get around to it.

T!

Everytime I see one of your updates I feel like Ralph Kramden, the only utterance I usually am able to get out is " Humina, humina, humina!"

Just Wunderbar! Thanks for the links!

Geo

Peter_Suciu said:
Any idea how many were made? :eek:

You mean the helmet Peter? No idea. But not many have survived, as they are so brittle. I have only seen one other, and it was broken on top. And aan vid reader of this site who will soon join as soon as he is back from theatre (reading this Bryan?) has a very nice example as well. XXI Dunkelblau Waffenrocks are exceedingly rare, as the AK was formed well after they were already converting to M1907/10 Feldgrau Feldrocks.

Tony, the M-95 tunic and cap are superb, and I have before this not even seen a photo of the Erzatz fibre Pickelhaube.
Your mentioning the green-faced shoulder straps as being the only Korps to use green prompts me to mention the odd case of Baden I. R. 114. This regiment was in A-K XIV where it seems every unit had strap facings of a different color, I.R. 114's being green. I don't know the historical significance but it would seem this regiment used green long before 1912, and if may have been the only infantry regiment to do so prior to the mobilization of A-K XXI. If you have any insight on this I'd like to hear.

Again, this is dream grouping.

Bob

feldgrau1418 said:
// Your mentioning the green-faced shoulder straps as being the only Korps to use green prompts me to mention the odd case of Baden I. R. 114. //

True. IR114 was the only Infantry unit to have green straps until the XXI AK stood-up, which still made the XXI AK the only AK to wear green straps. I am not sure either why IR114 wore green?

:eek:

Tony does it again! Pardon me while I get my jaw off the floor!

Absolutely unbelieveable!

Thank you for sharing Tony!

John

Excellent grouping T!! I love that helme, very rare. I have seen original fotos of the soldaten wearing these but never have I seen one in the flesh. I see no stitch lines in the front visor...what gives??? Brian

Back