The last helmet of 2009, and it is a good one..... get ready

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Here is my last contribution for 2009, and it is about as good as it gets. Clearly I have gone mad, as I can buy a brand-new Ford Focus right off the lot for what I paid for this. By far the most have ever spent. Oh well, you only live once right?

dbh79.jpg

As an actual Braunschweigisches Infanterie-Regt. Nr.92 officer's Pickelhaube is so incredibly rare, I looked at this example as critically as I could and looked for flaws or things that did not add up. As per normal. I approached it with my "prove to me you are original" attitude.

I examined the Wappen with a 10X zoom and the outline of eagle absolutely perfectly matches the shell of the helmet. You can trace along the Wappen and the imprint is a perfect match on the lacquer, especially in areas that seem to be different on eagle-to-eagle, such as the sceptre, lower feathers, orb etc. After too many glasses of red wine here one night, I did an experiment and removed a dozen eagle Wappens from officer helmets, plus spares, and not one would match a helmet that it did not come off of. So I am very comfortable that this Wappen is original to this helmet.

The Braunschweig Wappen is without question an original, and everyone I consulted agrees; the critical features of the skull shape and highly detailed Bandeau, especially to the pebbling etc on the bottom as well as other important characteristics are present.

As is correct for these, it is affixed with two brass nuts, and of course the chest is blank when viewed from the back, no Preußen FR cypher. And of course, the Bandeau is the correct FUERST pattern with a fold one each end worn only by IRs 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, and 153.

The three Imperial catalogues I examined, Neumann, Müller, DOV all offered three types of IR92 officer helmets; Ia Qual., II Qual., and "mit echt silbernem Totenkopf". This would appear to be an "entry level" Ia lowest quality fibre helmet, with an interior in smooth fibre, not lined in felt as on higher quality helmets. The maker is Depaheg Pattent, who typically made fibre helmets, which are typically not of the highest quality. The nuts are zinc, so it is a wartime helmet, and the mercury gilding must have been a very thin wash, as it is all gone, but fortunately the fittings are nicely toned brass and not zinc. Even on the base under the removable spike base has lost its wash. The only remaining visible gilding is inside the spike neck, and a bit on the back of the Wappen, which would be correct.

dbh79b.jpg

dbh79c.jpg

The spike is original to the helmet and it is removable for a Haarbusche. This is important, as if there was doubt about the Wappen being original to the helmet, with a removable spike top it would limit the helmet as being from one of the regiments that wore a Preußen Grenadier eagle Wappen or those with a with a smaller State Wappen overlaid on the eagle who were entitled to wear a Haarbusche. Only Grenadier Regts 2 to 9 (when they wore the old Grenadier Wappen), or the other Regts with equally rare Wappen, like IR 91, 93, 94, 95, 96, and 153 would qualify. A normal line spike would have set alarms off.

The Kokarde is the correct darker share of cornflower blue. I checked the paint age with lacquer remover, and it is old and does not rub off.

dbh79d.jpg

And of course, overall condition of the shell, lacquer, and interior is near perfect. And that spike just sets it off; the tallest one I have. Cool huh?

Tony

Hey Tony,
In 10 years, you will be able to trade a stink common OR's M1915 for a 2010 Ford Focus, I think you made the right choice`.
Best wishes and Happy New year
Gus

Tony- that is the way to end the year, I am super happy for you and can only hope that someday....

All the best

James

Superbe !
Thanks for sharing that.

Would you have a photo of the rear of the eagle ?

Happy new year

Hi Tony,

What an excellent addition to your fine collection. My congratulations to you on a super-rare helmet!

Yes, I can believe that it cost as much as a new 2009 Ford Focus automobile! At least it won't depreciate or "rust-out" like the Focus will!!!

I had to chuckle when I picked up my personal copy of Imperial German Headgear Price guide by a wonderful fellow forum member, and looked at the price he has listed for one of these. (It more likely matched a used 1997 Ford Focus in the price in this book, which I know is entirely incorrect. And I realize my book/copy may be the only one with this pricing "glitch" on this helmet, as I realize these books were printed on an "as-needed" basis by the author.) I think there is more than a slight "glitch" in my copy's pricing on this particular helmet, as well as incorrect pricing for a few other helmets, such as the 73rd Infantry Reg't enlisted helmet. I'm glad to see you were able to find such a beautiful example, and an honest example at that!!!

Again, a totally magnificent helmet Tony! I can only imagine the anxiety you must have felt, wondering if you were doing the right thing, when spending the $$$$$ you did for such a rare piece! My congratulations to you for undertaking such a huge endeavor, and adding a truly "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity helmet to your great collection!!!

All the Best,

Alan Schaefer

Yes, Tony, you spoke the words exactly as I had on my mind about price guides. You stated it perfectly!!! Thank You!!!

And for whatever my two cent's is worth: Price guides do nothing but to hinder the collector who is trying to purchase something from someone who has a "price guide" in their hands and is trying to sell something to the collector. Stated by me with all due respect to the author & his efforts.

I can still remember the late Eric Johansson, who worked at Manion's & the old House of Swords. He stated to me that all a price guide does is to "date" a book, and make a book quickly "out-of-date". That's exactly why he chose not to include a price guide in his 1981 published "Pickelhauben" book which had a great deal of photo & text errors in it, along with some incredibly poor info on preservation & restoration. I will never forget working with old Eric for a couple of years in the latter days of his life, in the time I spent at Manion's Auction House.

All the Best,

Alan Schaefer

Very nice purchase. I have a novice question. What is meant by the term "fiber" helmet. From what material was the shell made?

Were pre-war Pickelhauben shells made from a solid piece of leather?

abzeichen said:
Very nice purchase. I have a novice question. What is meant by the term "fiber" helmet. From what material was the shell made?
The "fiber" was an early type of plastic made from natural fibers (celulose)
abzeichen said:
Were pre-war Pickelhauben shells made from a solid piece of leather?
The body of the helmet was made from one peice of leather, the front oand rear peak were sewn on, as were the reinforcements for the chinstrap posts. The leather body was very difficult to make (time consuming) and that is why ersatz helmets were introduced in late 1914, to hurry the production of helmets by using felt, sheet steel and fiber. There was not a shortage of leather, only a shortage of leather helmet bodies due to the time needed to produce them.
Best wishes
Gus

What an absolutely superb helmet! There is real envy possible here. Great addition!

The Kokarde is the correct darker share of cornflower blue.

I thought this was debated previously with the final conclusion that both kinds were correct and existed. Do you have some knowledge in addition to that discussion? Along the same line -- what color is your ring? Is it still yellow or has it lost the gold color?

My compliments also on your terrific acquisition. Genuine helmets like this are beautiful and worth their high price tag when you have confidence that they are genuine.
I agree that Pricing Guides are very dated and tend to go out of currency quickly, but please allow me to make a few alternate points.
1. There were ERRORS in the first edition of the Guide. I apologize for that, there’s no excuse. The prices in the Guide reflected what the market place was experiencing over 2008. Not all of the helmets traded very heavily in that year and so the statistical sample size was small.
2. I have tried to improve on the accuracy of the price ranges in the 2010 edition of the Guide and have more samples for the statistics. Surprisingly, less than 33% of the entries changed from the 2009 edition. (I also endeavored to correct the errors.)
3. The 2010 edition is larger and has additional sections on Cloth Covers, a discussion of availability and how I calculated the percentages and a color plate with the Kockarden and Feldzeichen.
4. There is more value In the Guide than just dollar values. I intended for it to be a reference that had value far beyond the validity of the dollar values. It contains an objective description of each helmet and its components; it provides an indication of how rare/scares/valuable the helmet might be; and it provides some photos of the actual helmets with period photos of soldiers wearing them to help illustrate the helmet. This may not be of too much value for the advanced collector, but hopefully it is an aid to those early in their collecting years.
Jim Turinetti

jimturinetti said:
// please allow me to make a few alternate points.//

I do understand where you are coming from Jim, but to my mind, a "price guide" for anything is obsolete the day before it is published. Any price guide has an automatic year-end expiry like that old bottle of milk you find in the back of the fridge (but still sniff it just to be sure.....)

I met you at the SOS and your book as a guide is a useful tool, but when I see prices, it gives the impression that items are available (somewhere) for those prices, when the items are not available. At any price! For example, I have five Mannschaften helmets on my want list in order for me to have matching helmets on all 49 mannequins:

-Bavarian Chevauleger Pickelhaube w/ silver fittings
-Preußen Garde Feldartillerie Pickelhaube
-Preußen Leib-Husaren Regt.2 Pelzmütze
-Preußen Husaren Regt. Nr.3 Pelzmütze
-Wurttemberg Dragoner Regt. Nr. 25 Pickelhaube

Show me where these are available at the prices in your new 2010 guide and I will get a bank draft the same day. But that is not going to happen. So I appreciate the effort in putting these together, but to me, with all due respect, price guides are of questionable value. Take out the prices, make it a guide, then it has use. However, this is just one guy's opinion.

Back