The last helmet of 2009, and it is a good one..... get ready

Tony said:
The Kokarde is the correct darker share of cornflower blue.
joerookery said:
I thought this was debated previously with the final conclusion that both kinds were correct and existed. Do you have some knowledge in addition to that discussion? Along the same line -- what color is your ring? Is it still yellow or has it lost the gold color?

I suppose it would have been more accurate for me to say "The Kokarde is the darker share of cornflower blue that I would prefer to see on one of these".

dbh79d.jpg

hi tony,

just repeating what everyone else has already said, congratulations on an amazing find!

a quick question, i seem to remember reading somewhere the totenkopf was only worn by one batallion of the 92nd. is that correct?

cheers
chris

Congratulations Z 0 8)
collecting is a passion - I've learned over the years that when you have the money needed and that the helmet is in good condition : buy it . Enjoy this wonderfull one

Gustaf said:
abzeichen said:
Very nice purchase. I have a novice question. What is meant by the term "fiber" helmet. From what material was the shell made?
The "fiber" was an early type of plastic made from natural fibers (celulose)
abzeichen said:
Were pre-war Pickelhauben shells made from a solid piece of leather?
The body of the helmet was made from one peice of leather, the front oand rear peak were sewn on, as were the reinforcements for the chinstrap posts. The leather body was very difficult to make (time consuming) and that is why ersatz helmets were introduced in late 1914, to hurry the production of helmets by using felt, sheet steel and fiber. There was not a shortage of leather, only a shortage of leather helmet bodies due to the time needed to produce them.
Best wishes
Gus

Danke

chrispaulodale said:
//seem to remember reading somewhere the totenkopf was only worn by one batallion of the 92nd. is that correct? //

Sort of. The Totenkopf was only worn by the III Battalion also known as the Leib-Bataillon. However, when the Regiment adopted the Pickelhaube in 1886, for some reason the Leib-Bataillon did not continue to wear the Totenkopf, but adopted the so-called 'running horse Wappen'. See Joe's article HERE.

On 30 March 1889 the Leib-Bataillon went back to wearing the Totenkopf on the Wappen. And finally, on 27 Jan 1912 the entire regiment adopted the Totenkopf.

Tony & Kaiser said:
Sort of. The Totenkopf was only worn by the III Battalion also known as the Leib-Bataillon. However, when the Regiment adopted the Pickelhaube in 1886, for some reason the Leib-Bataillon did not continue to wear the Totenkopf, but adopted the so-called 'running horse Wappen'. See Joe's article HERE. On 30 March 1889 the Leib-Bataillon went back to wearing the Totenkopf on the Wappen. And finally, on 27 Jan 1912 the entire regiment adopted the Totenkopf.

Thanks Tony, as usual nothing is ever as easy as yes or no in this field! I think that's why its so fascinating.

Cheers
Chris

This looks like the real MacCoy...!!! Gosh, I think it's rare to find a species like this in this condition.

So if I sell my Ford I can afford myself a genuine Pickelhaube...? :lol:

Enjoy!

I am one of those "early" collectors that appreciate the avlue of your two volume set. Altho I have been collecting helmets for many years and now have about 25 in my small collection, I am the first to admit that I know very little about the values, construction, posts, all the rest of the stuff about helmets. For me, your book gives me descriptions, what to look for, history of the unit, lots of additional info that I normally would not have available. It is intimidating for relatively inexperienced collectors, such as myself, to read a lot of what is described and shown on this website (which is FANTASTIC). At any rate, the purpose of this note is to say that I personally find the two volumes extremely useful, regardless of the price guide criticism. I also agree that the market sets the prices.

abukafura

You can never get enough opinions. I would urge you to come to SOS. There you'll get to meet the guys that can give you an honest opinion. You do not have to be "one of the crowd" to get an honest answer. Come to the show, meet the players, everyone, including Jim, who is valued will share their opinion there. You will very quickly become "one of the crowd". I seem to remember sharing a beer with this guy recently. Ultimately you make the decision.

Joe--I am already planning to be at the SOS next year. Other obligations kept me from coming this year when I would have hoped to meet some of the contributors on this website. Perhaps then we might exchange some stories about our armor experiences as well.

Hi Tony,

What a lovely example. I have just purchased a Mecklemburg Officer's helmet in mint condition which I'll post on the forum.

I reckon that only less than 3% of Officer's helmets are in this condition today. My hypothisis is that these were sadly purchased by owners who were killed shortly after with the helmet stored away in it's carrying case.

Regards,

Martin

Back