The Men of Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 47 - 'Haubes and Guns

ph0ebus

Hi all,

Just picked this one up...love all the details in it. In another forum it was suggested that this undated photo was taken pre-war, due to the mix of blue and grey uniforms...would you agree?

FAR%2047%20Group%20Photo.jpg

I also love how the people in the windows in the background totally photobombed the unit, and that while they took time and care to pose everyone, someone forgot to clean up the horse apples!

-Daniel

Well said! Lots of nice little details.

The blue uniforms were used in the training base. So that alone does not indicate prewar.

The blue uniforms were used in the training base. So that alone does not indicate prewar

I think I would agree. Are not some of those field grey cuffs the wartime modified round type on the prewar field grey waffenrock?

Regards
Glenn

Glennj said:
The blue uniforms were used in the training base. So that alone does not indicate prewar

I think I would agree. Are not some of those field grey cuffs the wartime modified round type on the prewar field grey waffenrock?

Regards
Glenn
Possibly...I will try and get a high-res scan of those and see if that sheds any light on things.

Also, am I seeing things or are we seeing two slightly different types of cannon here?

Daniel

Daniel,

the guy seated on the front row in field grey next to the gun with the gun crew who are in field grey please.

Regards
Glenn

I wish I could put names to the faces of some of these Officers:

scan0003b.jpg

Now, to figure out ranks...

-Daniel

Daniel,

actually the close-up I asked for did not help: it is a normal pre-war pattern Waffenrock. However, your close-up of the five non-commissioned officers does show the photograph to be wartime. Both the NCOs to either side of the Vizewachtmeister in the centre are wearing the simplified model 1915 field tunic.

Regards
Glenn

Well, those swords seem to be of the single-hanging ring type--thus indicating post-1906 production or refurbishing--with blackened scabbards (post-1910)... The Vizewachtmeister seems to be carrying a 'single-jawed' lion-head artillery sword with portepee while the other NCOs are holding M1873 issued swords?

Quite a nice and rich photo! Would also be cool to see if those barracks survived and if there's a contemporary picture of them.

RON said:
Well, those swords seem to be of the single-hanging ring type--thus indicating post-1906 production or refurbishing--with blackened scabbards (post-1910)... The Vizewachtmeister seems to be carrying a 'single-jawed' lion-head artillery sword with portepee while the other NCOs are holding M1873 issued swords?

Quite a nice and rich photo! Would also be cool to see if those barracks survived and if there's a contemporary picture of them.

They did, actually! You can even live in them, as some of the buildings have been converted into apartments. I'll post the link once my son gives me back my computer... :D

Daniel

PS: Here you go:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hochschule_Fulda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Fulda High School occupies some of the buildings...see photos)

And:

http://www.fh-fulda.de/index.php?id=6921&L=1&F=1%2F%2F%3F...sting.net%2F1%2FID.txt%3F%2F%2F%3Fp%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The residences:

http://www.becker-fulda.com/lage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone else wants close-ups of anyone in the photo, just ask.

I don't know if it is helpful for your research for identifying the type of the artillery guns, Daniel, and I am not an artillery gun expert (!), but after some years I recognized the guns in the photo being of the often used 77 mm. type. Perhaps this will put you on the right track? See or compare for instance these guns with the ones, exposed at Belleau Wood,

belleau_wood_010.jpg

See also the other German 77 mm. guns in Belleau Wood: http://pierreswesternfront.punt.nl/?id=428743&r=1&tbl_archief=&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

or this German gun in the Deborah Tank hall in Flesquières near Cambrai,

Flesquieres_022.jpg

See also: http://pierreswesternfront.punt.nl/?id=548321&r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

Hey Daniel,
Do you think they kept some cannons for the students to play with during lunch recess?
Personally, I would've transformed this into an army museum but hey, I guess there's plenty more like this one left anyway.
Thanks again for posting this very nice photo!

Nice photo Joe! I need that Faustriemen for my sword!

Is his belt buckle wartime Hessian?

The belt buckle is certainly Hessian. I do not know if it is wartime construction. What I think is interesting is that we are back to this… How do you define a Hessian? This unit is not from Hesse Darmstadt. It is from the defunct state of Hesse Kassel. So this is a clear picture with a numbered helmet cover showing a different state than the belt buckle.

VR
Joe

Back