the morser on the mountain?

Sorry - I had 4 more pics THE plaque states Erinnerung an das Kriegsjahr 1914 ------30.5 cm morser
the stone base is 12 inches long --- the morser is about 6 inches high itself --- the whole is about 11 inches high

Yes, that is the type I saw in the Czech Republic at the market the summer of 2002, mounted on a very nice looking granite "mountain" with a plaque on it.

Your fine looking model has both the support "cables" in the back. Mine is missing one of them, and the shell loader on mine is bent a bit and the rods for it need to be re-attached to the support base. The side of my marble base looks like it may have had a plaque on it at in the distant past.

I've actually seen a handful of this type over the years since that time, all mounted on the granite "mountain". They don't show up for sale very often.

Congratulations on finding one of these some 50-years ago! =D>

Best Regards,

Alan

You got lucky to find one 50 years ago
Did you get the chanse to see more of those in private collections
These look so cool 😉

Jonas

good evening sammler freund---Many thanks for your comments to--- Sandy.. Westfront,,Edwin...Kaiser and Aicusv and

Alan.....

It seems that our gallant Belgian future Allies were the recipients of the destruction this morser could deliver at the Battle for Liege Aug 1914..

David Nash author of - German Artillery 1914-18 Almark Pub --- states it could propel an 838 lb shell 10,500 yds I shudder at the results.

During the following 5 decades only a hand full of this stone and brass????? bronze????? representation have been observed at Kube and other Auktion houses...

In trying to research this mortar I got lucky only after stumbling on its nick name ---Schlanke Emma (Skinny
emma)

for the 30.5 cm vs Big Bertha for the 42. cm

So , you will find many photos of existing actual mortars under the nickname..

Alan after seeing your photos mine may be missing the left and right extension rods to the rear of the loading platform --so thank you....

I'll try to get the other photos up soon
this one took a long time... the others appeared then were ultimately lost..
Sincerely AHZ------Randolpho

Back