The most important book – history

joerookery

This may seem self-serving however, I don't get a cent from royalties. Well I'm supposed to but it just doesn't happen. Anyway, in my opinion and of course it is my opinion that one needs to understand the environment of the collectibles. When we first got into this hobby we found this huge amount of misinformation. Dealers as well as respected older collectors repeated bad information that had been detailed in the very few English-language reference books of the time. This has changed. There are now very good reference books on not only helmets but of all sorts of stuff. English-language books hold a major part of the market. This has been a huge change in the last twenty years. I recommend you to the website of Verlag-Militaria as they have many English-language works that can help you understand the nuances. These are expensive books. They tend to be extremely well produced with a great deal of very very clear pictures. The publisher comes to SOS every year and his works are the top of the line.

One of those books is a history book that deals with Imperial Germany on the social, political, and military levels. It is Army specific and does not cover the Navy. It is large. 4 1/2 pounds with eighty clear color picture plates and several fold up maps. It is a handsome gift whether it be to yourself or others. It does not deal with the nuances of Militaria but rather the environment that it came from. I will list the books that I think are most important for Pickelhaube. However, in general there is nothing that replaces the understanding of history and there is no better book in any language then this one.

http://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=2277660&Language=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gwdbronze500.jpg

Joe is right, if you are interested in German history, then this is a must have book.

Top book !
:thumb up: :thumb up: :thumb up:
The trick is: take it to bed. After one chapter put it under your pillow. The wisdom will come to you while you sleep ! 8)
Francis

Just whining having Dutch co-authors for the next book is indeed a slow go. These guys know a lot but as a non-Dutch speaker, this is tedious. Looking back at myself I don't speak French either. It's all my fault – I should blame Paul. #-o

I did pick up the book from Stephan at the SOS. Looks great, and I have moved it to the top of my "must read" pile!

Joe is a good friend, and I know he really put his heart into this book.

Great read, takes awhile for us slow readers, but well worth it.

It is a big heavy book, I remember when he brought a bunch to SOS to sell years ago, I thought the table was going to collapse, who knew that it would be 5 years later for the table to collapse at the show, unfortunately with all my swords on it. It was a boom heard all around the show, and scared the crap out of me, I think the guy looking at swords at that moment felt guilty and bought 5 swords. Turned out the Convention center gave me a bad table held together with painters tape....

LOL another memory from the SOS

James

Back