The Overlooked, yet innovative, M 1900 Pickelhaube

Lost Skeleton

When I first ventured into this hobby, reference books were difficult to come by. Many of us are familiar with the curate's eggs of Bowman: Volumes 1 & 2, and Johansson, and, if we were fortunate, the solid efforts of Larcade and Lainé. Several impressive references have been published since, but I consider the books produced by Verlag Militaria to be without peer. I am a firm believer in the value of an extensive library and the Holmesian (Sherlock) philosophy, "Data! Data! Data!… I can't make bricks without clay." Consequently, I was ecstatic when Verlag published Dr. Jürgen Kraus' The German Colonial Troops from 1889 to 1918: History — Uniforms — Equipment in both English and German editions. For anyone interested in the Ostasiatische Expeditionskorps, the book is invaluable.

https://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=20849400&Language=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With respect to online references, we have this forum, Joe Robinson's Colonel J's, and, my favorite, Tony Schnurr's Kaiser's Bunker. With respect to the latter, I find myself frequently revisiting Tony's impressive Kaiser's Bunker Guide to the Evolution of the Preußen Pickelhaube 1842 - 1915, which brings me to the subject of this discussion. Though not a helmet originally developed for Prussian regiments, I would argue the Modell 1900 Pickelhaube deserves a place within this timeline as it was envisioned as being much more than the winter headdress of German colonial troops in China. This position is discussed in the Kraus reference, which devotes several illustrated pages to the M 1900.

Authorized by AKO in 1900 and first introduced in 1901, the Modell 1900 Fedgrau Pickelhaube, represents a radical departure from its immediate predecessor, the Modell 1895. Eschewing the traditional black lacquered leather shell, which incorporated a ventilated, brass reinforcement spine and brass visor trim, the design of the M 1900 hearkens back to the Preußen M 1887 helmet. What makes the M 1900 unique, however, is the first-ever adoption of field grey as an approved color for combat wear. Furthermore, both the spike and Imperial troops Reichsadler Wappen were designed for expedient removal, thereby facilitating a further measure of camouflage. This will be discussed in detail with the accompanying photographs. For illustration, I am using an Ostasiatische Expeditionskorps M 1900 in my collection. The helmet displays all the characteristics of the other ranks issue pattern — with a twist. The spike is the style worn by officers. How they came to be mated is anybody's guess, but it is not the only feature that sets this helmet apart.

i-fnJCTjs-X2.jpg

Not to be confused with the later ersatz Filzhelm, the M 1900 is an all leather helmet with Feldgrau felt cloth applied to the Korpus. The Schirm, Hinterschirm, and Ohrleder (to which the Knopf 91 are anchored) are painted olive drab. Original helmets are not green painted over black.

i-kpd5vjG-XL.jpg

The helmet with spike removed: The spike threads directly to the crosspiece of the ventilation hole. When removed, the spike was replaced with a Feldgrau painted, domed metal cap that could be stored inside the helmet by threading it to the interior side of the crosspiece. To see a photograph of the cap, click HERE. As specified by the AKO, the Reichsadler was fitted to the helmet using long, flat brass prongs, which passed through slotted mounts attached to the outside of the helmet. This same system was employed by the Preußen M 1867 Pickelhaube. The purpose was to allow the wearer to remove the brass accoutrement in a matter of seconds and thereby reduce the helmet's visibility to the enemy. Because the helmet was already Feldgrau in color, it was never issued with an Überzug

i-V7sGvm9-X2.jpg

Top view

i-cXcxwVF-L.jpg

Closeup: From the "fade line" in the Feldgrau cloth surrounding the ventilator, one can conclude this helmet saw either considerable use or display with the metal ventilator cap in place. The threaded brass bushing that receives the spike is a soldered insert. The impression left by the outer lip of the circular spike base is also readily visible.

i-rdBNSWb-L.jpg

Unlike the Preußen M 1887 Pickelhaube, which utilized a highly unsatisfactory hook and eye chinstrap retainer, the M 1900 employs the Knopf 91 system. The other ranks leather chinstrap is fitted with a thin (1.5mm) keeper. This matches the tolerance of the chinscale keeper found on Pickelhauben worn by Reichs-Gendarmerie foot troops of Elsaß-Lothringen — meaning that a specific standard may have been established for helmets worn by the military and civilian contingents of the Reich. In other words, there is no appreciable difference between Reichs-Gendarmerie other ranks chinscales and Ostasiatische Expeditionskorps officer chinscales. Note the green painted Ohrleder. The natural thread color is proof that the Schirm, Hinterschirm, and Ohrleder were sewn to the helmet after painting.

i-JXZLP9m-X2.jpg

Back of the helmet: For whatever reasons, the Hinterschirm of this helmet is a darker shade of olive drab. The absence of a rear spine represents both a conscious attempt to reduce the quantity of brass used in helmet manufacture and to render the helmet more field serviceable.

i-f9XbvNx-X2.jpg

The removable officer pattern gilt spike: The central threaded rod eliminates the need for the customary star retainers.

i-vBXxWhN-XL.jpg

Note the neat soldering of the bras tabs that fit the spike neck to the base.

i-KKMNKdf-L.jpg

The spike neck features five ventilation holes (rather than the customary two for officers).

i-PpfHvK4-X2.jpg

Helmet interior: Illustrating the manner by which the ventilator is attached. One suspects the underside of the Schirm is green for the same reasons as a modern baseball cap.

i-MjSbhgF-M.jpg

The manufacturer of this helmet — A. Wunderlich N. BERLIN. Kraus indicates that at least three firms were engaged in the production of the M 1900.

i-bp3SqG5-L.jpg

The Wappen attachment system viewed from the interior: The steel split prongs on either side correspond the the slotted mounts on the exterior of the helmet. The decorative brass folding lock in the center helps secure the Wappen firmly in place. I have never removed the Reichsadler from the helmet for fear of damaging something. I would like to see it as much as anybody, but the helmet is simply too valuable to mess about with. For those interested in DNA, a single strand of hair is available for testing.

i-pWcgg7c-L.jpg

Finally, the Abnahmestempel: B.A.O. (Bekleidungs-Amt-Ostasien) 1901. Size 52 is exceedingly small.

CONCLUSIONS: The Modell 1900 Feldgrau Pickelhaube, though influenced by the past, was forward thinking. Incorporating elements of Preußen Modelle 1867, 1887, and 1891 helmets, the M 1900 represents the initial use by the German military of a field grey helmet. It was designed so that the spike, Reichsadler Wappen, and chinstrap/chinscales were easy to remove and provided a universal fit for both other ranks and officer helmets. In this sense, the M 1900 anticipates the innovations of the M 1915 Pickelhaube, which made the bayonet spike mount and Knopf 91 universal for helmets of all ranks. It was further intended that the M 1900 Pickelhaube would eventually replace the M 1895 helmet for mounted and foot troops of the regular army, and several Probe examples exist. Because it was never adopted, the helmet is now largely ignored. I consider myself fortunate to have one in my collection.

Chas

Charles- one of the coolest helmets I have ever seen and probably one of the rarest.

I know you have it for awhile, but wow

James

Good job on that :thumb up:

There is no doubt that the medal is the double Dragon order from China. However as that came in so many grades I do not know which one.

ps1530b by Joe Robinson, on Flickr

Infantryman 2nd East Asian Infantry Regiment

And a quote from Mr. Colonial – Chris Dale
I'd put the date slightly later 1901-04. It looks like he's got the China medal instituted in May 1901 (alongside the 1897 Wilhelm I Centenary medal)

ps1965 by Joe Robinson, on Flickr

joerookery said:
There is no doubt that the medal is the double Dragon order from China. However as that came in so many grades I do not know which one.
ps1530b

Excellent photos, Joe. My best guess is the Double Dragon 3rd Class, or Commander, of the Order.

M 1900 Officer chinscales were gilt or silver (Pionier) with brown leather backing. The officer flat scales are identical in pattern to the scales on my RG 18 helmet (which also fit the M 1900 — minus the Reichskokarde).

i-9X4fhj3-XL.jpg

As one can see the scale keeper is remarkably thin. In fact, the leather backing of the chinscales is actually thicker. What I can say for certain is that only the chinstrap presently on the M1900 and the RG chinscales will fit this specific Knopf 91.

i-VxVSMsL-L.jpg

Chas

Were any of this helmets produced for other troops? With other Wappen? How do these helmets compare with the helmets that came out around 1905/1906 that had black visors?

aicusv said:
Were any of this helmets produced for other troops? With other Wappen? How do these helmets compare with the helmets that came out around 1905/1906 that had black visors?
I have seen photographs of Proben M 1900 helmets featuring Preussen and Württemberg line infantry Wappen. These helmets were fitted with a modified removable spike that mated to a ventilated dome cap permanently mounted to the outside of the helmet. The spike neck of this variation has elongated vent holes. The following example is an illustration from Jean-Louis Larcade's Casques à Pointe: tome 1. Notice the application of the M 1895 rear spine:

i-FPbs2t7-L.jpg

Another example can be examined via the following link. This represents yet another variation of the Other Ranks East Asian Infantry Pickelhaube. Referencing the Photos © German Militaria, the spike with elongated vent holes is now attached to the helmet via conventional domed split brads.

http://s400910952.websitehome.co.uk/germancolonialuniforms/oabb.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the experimental M 1905/06 Pickelhaube, it was identical to the M 1895 in all respects with the exception of Feldrau cloth being applied to the leather shell. Tony Schnurr has an excellent example of this rare helmet:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh71.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chas

Lost Skeleton said:
Because the helmet was already Feldgrau in color, it was never issued with an Überzug

Chas,

I think it did...
Here a pict of the Unteroffiziere of the 7 Kompanie of the Ostasiatisches Regiment 5, China, 1900. To my humble knowledge, the number of such units were blue on the Überzug.

Lost Skeleton said:
aicusv said:
The following example is an illustration from Jean-Louis Larcade's Casques à Pointe: tome 1. Notice the application of the M 1895 rear spine:

i-FPbs2t7-L.jpg

I have the luck to own such a scarce Versuchshelm:

Note the two-pieces rear trim, to allow the neckguard to flap for better ventilation:

Better ventilation too under the wappen:

The wearer obviously had a "hot head"...The ventilation disc under the spike has been taken away to allow a permanent ventilation:

And he made the hole bigger at the outside of the dome:

Lost Skeleton said:
As for the experimental M 1905/06 Pickelhaube, it was identical to the M 1895 in all respects with the exception of Feldgrau cloth being applied to the leather shell. Tony Schnurr has an excellent example of this rare helmet:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh71.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tonys helmet is another pattern. Felt on leather skull. Mine has feldgrau cloth on leather.

Philippe
:)

argonne said:
I think it did... Here a pict of the Unteroffiziere of the 7 Kompanie of the Ostasiatisches Regiment 5, China, 1900. To my humble knowledge, the number of such units were blue on the Überzug.
Ah, the overall picture becomes more complete. Blue numerals make perfect sense as that was the color worn on field covers of the Seebattaillone. It may be possible that not all Kompanie were issued the M 1900 helmet — hence the Überzug. The statement about the M 1900 not being furnished with a cover is from the Kraus reference. There is no end to learning. :wink:

argonne said:
I have the luck to own such a scarce Versuchshelm:
Truly spectacular, Philippe! :bravo:

Thank you so much for sharing so many wonderful and detailed photographs. The cloth covering on your Versuchshelm appears to be two panels of canvas twill. According to Kraus, the Versuchshelm entered field trials in 1906 — in addition to Feldgrau uniforms influenced by those used in China. Kraus further notes the similarities between the M 1900 and 1906 Versuchshelm, and discusses the folding Hinterschirm as being adapted from the Tropenhelm.

Très magnifique!

Chas

7/5 photo is interesting, with the mixed collection of weapons. Anyone have any idea what weapon the man standing behind the officer's right shoulder is holding? It is longer than he is tall.

Love the little covers for the Happen holes.

aicusv said:
7/5 photo is interesting, with the mixed collection of weapons. Anyone have any idea what weapon the man standing behind the officer's right shoulder is holding? It is longer than he is tall.

Love the little covers for the Happen holes.

It might be a Mauser Model 1871. They were 54" long. Hard to tell. There appears to be a couple of Mauser 88's in the mix as well.

John :)

Great to see sutch exelent photos of sutch a rare helmet
This is one more on the wish list \:D/

Jonas

Back