The Pigs take wing again: A cased Preußen officer's Tschapka

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Everyone enjoys a boxed mystery, so we begin with this case. What could it be?

dbh74m.jpg

Oooh!

dbh74n.jpg

And here we have an absolutely superb Line-Regt Preußen officer's Tschapka for Regiments Nr. 4, 9, 10, 11, 12 with bullion officer's Fangschnur.

dbh74g.jpg

The very scarce case is in excellent condition and has a VzW (Vizewachtmeister?) written on the top interior. The Preußen officer's Tschapka is by far the nicest example I have seen for a Line Regt. It has the elegant thin neck, and retains the shape very well not being "pinched" at the rear as most are. The eagle Wappen is full size of course and retains almost all of the mercury gilding. The bullion wire Feldzeichen is one of the nicest I have seen and it is a monster; almost a half-size larger than any of my other officer examples. The cotton skull-cap has one insignificant little rip, and is otherwise as good as could be hoped for. Postwar, the Tschapka spent some time in the property department of a German State Theatre, which is reflected by the ink stamp on the sweatband. Thank you German State Theatre. The Ulanen officer's Preußen Fangschnur is an absolutely mint perfect original (very heavy) with no damage or ageing whatsoever. The back of the knots have blue cloth sewn on to keep the bullion from rubbing on the Ulanka.

dbh74.jpg

dbh74a.jpg

dbh74b.jpg

dbh74d.jpg

dbh74e.jpg

This is not a grouping, but now an ensemble thanks to a "team effort". My esteemed friend of 40 years Roy (RoyA) sent me the Tschapka case as a gift for my 50th birthday, and it languished for years without a suitable Tschapka, as the eight Tschapka I have are all issued.

Then unexpectedly Chas (Lost Skeleton) offered me this wonderful Tschapka in trade for a Royal Flying Corps tunic.

And finally, a perfect officer's Fangschnur popped on De-Bay with a "buy now" but the seller would not sell to a scary foreigner. I was blocked. AARRGGHH!! In desperation I reached out to Sander van Zanten; a dealer I know in the Netherlands (a great guy who I highly recommend) who runs http://www.treasure-hunt.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and asked if he could buy it for me, and he did. It was mailed to Sander, and then he mailed to Gael's sister in the UK, where I took possession of it this month during our visit to England.

And that now leaves only one officer's helmet I wish to still find: an officer's Line Husaren Pelzmütze. Tony

Congratulations Tony!
I don't know how you do it. How do you manage to find pieces that appear to have never been issued?

Absolutely beautiful.

What is the measurement on the Feldzeichen? I have a Prussian Napoleonic that is 93mm. I heard that officers used this larger size into the 1870's.

John :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Did you get my pm?

SkipperJohn said:
Congratulations Tony!
I don't know how you do it.
How do you manage to find pieces that appear to have never been issued?
Absolutely beautiful.
What is the measurement on the Feldzeichen?
Did you get my pm?

Thank you.
Me neither.
Blind luck.
I agree.
75mm.
Yes I did. Will reply.
8)

Congratulations to this nice Helmet :D
It is funny what kind of Helmets have been worn in the past and what has been regarded as representative for an Officer.
But a great piece of History in a top condition :thumb up:

Tony without Kaiser said:
Then unexpectedly Chas (Lost Skeleton) offered me this wonderful Tschapka in trade for a Royal Flying Corps tunic.
I'm glad my surplus was your gain, Tony. In some respects, the Tschapka I decided to keep is not as desirable as the one I traded to you, but I have always been fond of the four panel kidskin construction. This one also bears some pencil scribbling on the sweatband and a ducal monogram in the headliner silk.

i-vcrcCQG-XL.jpg

I must say, your ensemble can't be topped. :wink:

Chas

That's a beauty Tony! Funny what has been in theater property / costume stores. Years ago, I bought a Rawlings infantry tanker helmet in mint condition from a fellow in Australia who got it at a theater auction. Those are the ones with the 'doughnut' pad around the dome. (on the left in the link below.. I'm still looking for the other 'Cavalry' type). It must've come over to Australia with either some M2A4 or Stuart light tanks.

:D Ron

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_07_2012/post-9881-1343763589.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I vaguely remember receiving an email from "Das Bunker" which stated collection goals had been achieved and that there would be no additions to the already "world renowned" Bunker Collection. Good to know that pigs do fly and that there will probably be further new items added! :thumb up:

Back