The red bells.

USMC-EOD

Hey Tony.

We are describing those little bell icons on the left side of the page that light up red when a new post has been added. Lately they are always colorless.

By the way, thanks for the help with the cast pickelhaube instructions. I'm up to my elbows in casting material right now and loving life!

Oooh-Raah, Kill.

Bryan.

Yes, the new postings icon in the left margin. Very, very seldom do I ever see them colored when there's new postings, I ususally have to look at the dates to find new postings instead.

This has been happening for at least a couple of years and I could have sworn I reported it once before, but I may be mistaken.

Usually when I sign on I have to do it twice. The first time nothing at all happens. I've put in the correct username and password (actually my computer automatically fills it in for me), clicked the button and "poof" nothing. Then I have to sign on a second time and I'm in, but it shows no new postings even though there are actually new postings there. Perhaps 5-6 times a year (or maybe more, I don't really keep track) I actually get signed in the very first attempt and the new post icons are colored like they should be to show where the new posts are at.

I've tried manually putting in my username and password, but it makes no difference. It either works, or it doesn't. 90% of the time I have to sign in twice and there are no new posts showing, I have to hunt for them as I said. I just figured it was a computer glitch aggravation that was worth putting up with for such a GREAT site! :D

Liongules,

The exact same thing with signing in twice is happening to me over the last few days. That is about the time that the "new message" icon bells quit showing up. Everything has been functioning properly before that. Very weird.

Bryan.

USMC-EOD said:
We are describing those little bell icons on the left side of the page that light up red when a new post has been added. Lately they are always colorless.

Okay, you mean those icons on the left. I thought they were pages of paper, but okay...bells. Sure.. Why not? Mine are lit up if there is a new posting in there.

I really think this is connected to your not being able to log on during the first attempt.

If you (Mike and Bryan) are logging in and you click the button and "poof" nothing, the Forum must be receiving a signal that you have logged on. But you are not getting on for some reason. When you do log on, on the second try, the Forum thinks that you have logged on AGAIN, so you will not see new postings since your 'last visit' (which was actually your first log on attempt). This is a Forum coding issue and no way to change that so it shows new postings for a few visits.

You are, I assume, clicking the "Remember me" in the box when you log on? I only have to lon on if I clear my cookies out; typically I only have to log on a few times in a year. I open my link to the site, and I'm on.

A trick: On the right, where the arrow is pointing, you have three links:

View posts since last visit
View your posts
View unanswered posts

new_posts.jpg

Click on the "View posts since last visit" then save THAT page as your link to Pickelhaubes.com in your 'Favourites" for your web browser.

That way, when you open Pickelhaubes.com in your browser, it goes right to this page and it only shows new postings. Like below. But I am quite sure this has something to do with your not getting through on your log-on attempt on the first try.

new_post.jpg

Okay, now that I squint and look more closely, you're right, they are pieces of paper or perhaps file folders? I've tried your suggestions and I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help.

They are bells and I always see them when I come on the site. For instance this 1st help posting was "lit" up. Brian

Guy's this has happened for a long time, the key is to click the remember me button!!!

if I log off and then come back, the first time never lets me in, the second time does, but if I click remember me, it always works, and I see the new posts.

James

b.loree said:
They are bells and I always see them when I come on the site. For instance this 1st help posting was "lit" up. Brian

Sorry Brian, I am with Tony on this one, they are sheets of paper:)
Gus

Minnesota Slim said:
Guy's this has happened for a long time, the key is to click the remember me button!!!

My mistake, it the "Log me on automatically each visit' check box under your name when you log-on. Hopefully that will help, otherwise, it could have something to do with your connection or possibly your security settings?

Tony & Kaiser said:
Minnesota Slim said:

My mistake, it the "Log me on automatically each visit' check box under your name when you log-on. Hopefully that will help, otherwise, it could have something to do with your connection or possibly your security settings?

Mine seems to be working now, when I just logged on I got in the first time and all of the new posts (at least I presume it's all of them) were all lined up waiting for me to open them.

Well heck...

Mine is suddenly working again as well. Thanks for the tips and help Tony. I'll take it on advisement for future log-ins.

Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

Bryan.

Since the site went down, I have to log on manually each time i.e. automatic log-on doesn't work, and the red folders for new posts don't appear , apart from on one occasion.Any suggestions?

Patrick

Minnesota Slim said:
I am still having the same problem of having to relog in everytime??
Not me, ha ha James, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy, I suspect you are on one of the FBI/CIA watch lists as a French Canadian terrorists:)

Minnesota Slim said:
I am still having the same problem of having to relog in everytime??

I have no idea what is going on. Automatic logins is active, one day I can get on 10 times in a row, then today, every time I have to log in. Please be patient, this has happened before, was a server thing, and it was sorted out eventually.

After the melt down, I had to log on everytime even to activate new memebers. This has cleared up for me though. No problems now. B

Back