The Rumors of a new Pickelhaube collector are not true

Gustaf

Staff member
It has come to my attention that someone has been spreading the rumor that I am a Pickelhaube collector, I want to assure you all that I am not. I do have a few pointy hats in the collection, but that is because I collect WWI crap, and the pointy helmets fit under that criterion. I have acquired a few nice helmets in the past year, a couple were gifts and others required that I sell my last kidney and most of my liver (It is all good, in the US dialysis is free to all who need it)
The latest is another Filzhelm, I have been rather fond of that type of helmet since I saw the first one in the Imperial War Museum in 1972.
baden filz front.jpg
baden filz left.jpgbaden filz right.jpgbaden filz liner.jpg

I like it, and I believe the rumors!

FYI Baden Felt helmets are quite hard to find, congrats!

James

I am familiar with that rumour as well, it has spread throughout the collector community here in Canada! No one knows the source 😳. Anyway, the Baden filz helme is a rare beast in my experience, so congratulations! 👍

I always wanted a Prussian Filzhelm like the one I saw in the Imperial War Museum in 1972. I managed to find a Prussian Wappen and changed the Baden Wappen, looks cool, doesn't it?

Attachments

• Prussian filz front.jpg
    Prussian filz front.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 16
It has come to my attention that someone has been spreading the rumor that I am a Pickelhaube collector, I want to assure you all that I am not. I do have a few pointy hats in the collection, but that is because I collect WWI crap, and the pointy helmets fit under that criterion. I have acquired a few nice helmets in the past year, a couple were gifts and others required that I sell my last kidney and most of my liver (It is all good, in the US dialysis is free to all who need it)
The latest is another Filzhelm, I have been rather fond of that type of helmet since I saw the first one in the Imperial War Museum in 1972.
View attachment 35950
View attachment 35951View attachment 35952View attachment 35953
Hi Gustav, I heard...damn it! Thankfully that's not true. I was getting seriously concerned. Wonderful uncommon baden ersatz.

I am a little disappointed that I am so predictable that no one has chastised me for ruining the Baden helmet. I should point out the importance of the Prussian Filzhelm. I acquired it a quarter century ago along with its Ubezeug at a local gunshow. The condition of the helmet was so good that I thought it was a reproduction. I reached out to Brian Loree to see what his opinion of it was. I was happy to learn that it was 100% correct. This was only the third Pickelhaube I had acquired at that point, and the first OR Uberzeug I have seen in over 25 years of collecting. Later Brian mentioned he was going to try to start a forum for Pickelhaube collectors and asked me to join and contribute. Even then I told him I was not a Pickelhaube collector, but I did join the new forum as the third member after Margot #1, and Brian #2. This was really my first jump into the community that at that time was very small. That community has since grown to a great group of collectors and historians. Col. Joe Robinson had a big part in this community's growth by inviting and welcoming anyone he thought might have any interest. A lot of people have slipped away from the group due to our limited time here, and more will be gone quicker that we would like, but it has been a great trip with some of the best people in the world.Prussian filz uberzeug.jpgPrussian filz front.jpg

Since I am showing my felt Ersatz helmets, here is an interesting Bavarian M95 that Bryan S. gave me a while back. In this game, if you do something nice for some one, it seems to pay back double. The helmet has a few issues, the liner is missing and there are a couple of small tears in the body, but the chin strap makes up for those. It is from a retired Raupenhelm that was reused to make up shortages.
Bavarian ersatz front.jpgBavarian ersatz left.jpgBavarian ersatz right.jpgBavarian ersatz liner.jpg

Back