The Seller Must Be Daft!

A

Anonymous

Okay, now it's your turn to rip to shreads one of my infrequent eBay auctions as seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prussian-Garde-MGA-German-Pickelhaube-Tschako-Shako_W0QQitemZ6587232234QQcategoryZ13965QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought this based on one microscopic, lousy picture of the front through a Yahoo auction five years ago. It was examined by Weitze et al. at the Show of Shows in 2004. For what it's worth, Weitze was the one who said, "1930s police helmet." I'm inclined to disagree: wrong interior, only two (not the customary four) ventilation screens, etc., but he is, after all, an "expert." :roll: I don't know what it may have been originally, but I'd really like to unload it.

I see Rod Bellars may have flagged it as a fake by his bid.

My primary goal in listing was to put in a plug for our forum. It will be interesting to see what develops.

Chas.

Hey Chas,
Actually an attractive piece-very clean condition-interrior is unlike anything I have/seen-I,m assuming its unmarked and no extra holes behind the frontplate?-Al

Hello Al and Bill:

No extra holes; no markings. The white interior is felt roughly 1/8" thick and sewn to the leather base of the Tschako. The gold cloth appears to be glued to the top; it may be concealing a maker's label. However, I'll leave it to the buyer (if any) to pull it apart.

Bill, the star may actually be good. I have a Flieger Bataillon Tschako, which I purchased from Dave Mosher, that also features a split prong attachment. I can't fault its construction or detail. However, I don't feel comfortable saying the star is original.

The Feldzeichen is definitely repro, as are the Rosettes. The Reichskokarde is one of Randy's copies given to me by Brian. It looks pretty good until you remove it from the helmet. The scales are genuine.

So the question is, what value does it hold? If the star is genuine, it's worth more than the reserve price for the whole kaboodle.

It's a tough one to dismiss.

Chas.

The Tschako came and went without meeting the reserve price. After the auction, I was contacted by bidder number two. Below is a transcript of the exchange:

Prussian Garde MGA German Pickelhaube Tschako Shako Artikelnummer: 6587232234 .Hello I will have the shako.How much is the helmet ?

greeting stefab

Hello Stefab:

Thank you for your interest. The reserve for the helmet was $550.00. Please let me know if you are still interested. I would prefer payment in the form of a money order in U.S. funds.

Kind regards,

Charles

Hello,You and I know ,that the helmet is an new copy!550$ for a Copy?????????????
Theses helmet isn´t not from 1900.

Please make an real priece and I will buy it.

greeting stefan
Military Museum Berlin

Hello Stefan:

I paid 860.00 Euro from a German seller who advertised it is genuine. I was quite clear in my description that I know it is a reproduction. I can't give it away. I am already losing plus 300.00 with my reserve. Remember, I did not approach you; you contacted me. You are not obligated to buy and I will not be bullied to sell for a price that pleases you.

Regards,

Charles

I am currently fighting a deal where a seller demanded €25 to ship two postcards from Germany to the United States. I refused. It was an after the sale demand. We finally settled on four euros. Four euros to mail two postcards. This guy used the same tone as your guy. I don't understand these people.

Back