The story of the Killer Beast from India

Spike

Chas was asking for the story behind the Panther in the picture of my Saxon Artillary Helmet i'm selling.

Well here it goes the pelt was given to me by a family friend who's Grandfather went on a hunting trip in the 1920's to India.While there he heard of a killer Spotted Panther who was attacking a nearby village at night and had killed 2 people.
But how to find and kill the beast in the dark ? well someone came up with the idea of hiding up in a tree which under would be tied a poor goat for easy prey.After a few nights sure enough the goat screamed out as it was attacked and he fired from the tree killing the Panther hitting it in the left side.
I am very keen on wildlife especially big cat's that is why the Lady gave me the pelt it still has several shotgun pellets in it's left side.I am totally against killing any of these beautiful animals unless they do humans harm as this one did.
Here are some great pictures taken the morning after the shooting of the beast.

P1010342.jpg

Full view of this fine specimen of a Spotted Panther I thought Panthers were Black but there are more than one type confusing creatures a bit like our spiked top specimens ! must be an Ersatz Panther.

P1010346.jpg

What a fascinating story. I watched a bit of Jurassic Park on the tube recently, and a goat was used to attract a T-Rex. Now we know the origins of idioms such as getting one's goat, or being the goat.

I further understand a "judas goat" leads unsuspecting sheep to slaughter.

It's a cruel world.

However, the pelt is superb. Thank you for sharing its history.

Chas. :thumb up:

Hey Spike,
With out the story and the photographs, it is just another pelt, but the story makes it great, is the pelt going with the Kugelhelm? I suspect that ebay would pull your listing if it was even used as a back drop in your listing.
Best wishes
Gsu

Gustaf said:
Hey Spike,
With out the story and the photographs, it is just another pelt, but the story makes it great, is the pelt going with the Kugelhelm? I suspect that ebay would pull your listing if it was even used as a back drop in your listing.
Best wishes
Gsu

Hi Gus,

I think eBay are ok on pelts I have seen them on before but I will check as I did include that picture maybe best not risk it.I put as SS other ranks belt & buckle on eBay Moday and they took it off Wednesday so I did well there 2 days ! I didn't show any nazi symbols in the photo's it's sad really these items are History.

All The Best
Eddie

Ebay is fickle, they go by who turns you in instead of following their own rules.

Love the pelt and a great story!

James

Great stuff! Actually it's the hide of an Asian leopard of which species the black leopard(panther) is a color morph.

Even today leopards are responsible for an incredible number of human deaths and disappearances in India. What the heck, there are a hell of a lot more people in India than there are leopards. I think it would be alot easier to teach the rural Indian population not to sleep out in the open than to teach the big cats to behave.

Trade in exotic animal parts and hides is highly restricted and Ebay would probably go into fits if such a pelt was offered for sale on their site.

keoki7 said:
I think it would be alot easier to teach the rural Indian population not to sleep out in the open
Hi George:

Do you, or does anyone, recall the New Delhi "Monkey Man" hysteria?

http://www.strangemag.com/monkeyman.html

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/south/06/18/india.monkey/

Chas.

Chas, I do recall the monkey man thing, really something but then consider Saskwatch, Nessie and all in the West.

Here's a link to some relatively recent leopard news...

http://www.hindu.com/mag/2005/02/06/stories/2005020600010100.htm

India is where we have decided to set up all our computer service centers while we in the US import their Inn Keepers and their country folks sleep outdoors.

Of course all of this outrageous non PC stuff from me is only tongue-in-cheek. After all, here in the US, our eco success is starting to collide with our yuppies expanding into the outer "urbs".

Remember the young, mother of two, jogger in California attacked and killed by a mountain lion a couple of years ago? Some local environmentalist group set up an account for donations at a local bank. The account was to provide funds to care for the big cat's two cubs.

Back