The Tactical Significance of the forgotten General Gaede

yykwn.jpg

Dear Pickelhaubes Friends,

Recently, on 28 April 2012 I had the honour to give a lecture for the knowledgeable company of the members of the Western Front Association of the Netherlands, an association of which I am also a proud member myself.

Due to the unexpectedly many questions and especially because of the many oral comments afterwards, but also because of the many written curious requests from distant corners of the world via Facebook or via email, I decided to present to you integrally in two languages the richly illustrated text of this apparently successful lecture about the tactical significance of the forgotten German General Gaede. For the images I have of course made use of the projections, which I've used during my reading.

I realize very well that the text deserves in many places some supplements, but I limited myself to a speech time of up to 50 minutes. Incidentally, you will find many of the sub-topics also covered elsewhere on my website, or these topics can be found in detail in the extensive survey of sources, that follows after the end of the text of my lecture .

I would like to present you now my lecture on the internet:

The Southern Vosges – Test Terrain of General Gaede .

Indirectly some members of our Forum have contributed to the projected images! They are mentioned at the end of my sources survey! Thanks, Joe, George and Brett!

To read some of the texts on the images: Type “Control +” to zoom in on the highres images and texts!. Return to the original view via < Control 0 > .

I hope that you will enjoy my story.
With regards,
Pierre Grande Guerre

Very nice article and it nicely shows that the German army contained some innovative generals who were not affraid of experimenting with new concepts and tactics during trench warfare. Meanwhile, the majority of the German high command stubbornly adhered to the principles of von Clausewitz, which worked well during the war of movement in the Franco-Prussian war but proved vastly inadequate during the static warfare of ww1. General Geade can therefore be considered to be a modern general like Falkenhayn who also recognized that other strategies were required to break the deadlock on the western front.

Regards,

Edwin

Back