The times they are a' change-in.........

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
(Apologies to Bob Dylan)

When I opened Kaiser's Bunker in 2000 to have an on-line reference site, it was in fact, a thinly disguised ruse for a man obsessed with his dog. That hasn't changed, I love the little bugger with all my heart. However, times have changed eh? On the old 14 inch monitors the standard resolution was 800 X 600 with dial-up internet (Gus is still there I think?), so the first photos were 400 pixels high and taken with what was a very good digital camera for that time, a Kodak. The photo of my M1860 below, was taken in 2000 and is as large as the photos got.

dbh_2000.jpg

In 2004 I got the FujiS6027 that I still use, and high speed internet was starting to be more common, as were larger monitors. It was a big job, but I re-took every item on the site with the new camera, and now they were much better photos, and the largest size was as you see here, 600 pixels high.

dbh_2004.jpg

Well, welcome to 2008, soon to be 2009. Monitors are now 24" or more, resolutions have gone from 800 X 600 to 1600 X 1200 or higher which makes photos smaller. So, starting last month, I retook all the helmets on a new backdrop, and tonight finished the last one. I took, edited, and altered the html in the files on over 900 photos. Most of the helmets now have a front, Wappen, side, rear, interior, and detail shots. Below is the standard size now, at 800 pixels.

dbh01.jpg

Bored? have a look, here is the link to the DUNKELBLAU page, over 600 new photos and here is the link to the FELDGRAU page, over 300 new photos.

I hope you will find them interesting. Tony

Wow!
Those are incredibly clear photos.
It's the next best thing to seeing the helmets in person.
Regards,
Brad
:)

WOW!!! Great photos, Tony! You can see the minor details just like you were holding the helmet up close to you eyes. Very, very nice.

Yup, I am still here with dial up, and a 14 inch monitor, the first photo looks great, and judging by the top 3/4s of the spike on the second photo, it looks better, so the 3rd photo must be super. I have a friend who is working in remote China, who can get better internet service than I can get here, as I live 2 miles beyond the limit of highspeed service. I can not afford highspeed internet though (my neighbor has explained to me several times how it is cheaper to pay a higher cost and only have one phone line, but I used his internet one evening when we were visiting, and in 3 minutes I was able to spend $400, at home it would have taken me 10 hours to spend that much). Kaiser should be very proud of how his domain has grown.
Best wihses
Gus

Tony- way to go, I do not know where you find the time, I barely have time to photo 1 helmet

Nice

James

This is a major improvement Tony! Your site was very good before, but it's a super site now...

Adler

Enjoy them is a huge understatement! I cannot begin to imagine how much work you have put into your website, but it is truly magnificent.

The photography is excellent, the information concise and well laid out. I have learned more about pickelhaubes (and related items) from your site than anywhere else.

Your efforts are appreciated by all, I am sure. THANK YOU!

Dan

Great job Tony, must have taken a long time but it sure is worth it! I only know your site for 2 months now, but it already helped me out a lot. Thanks for all the effort you put into this!!

Amazing pieces... Are they all from your personal collection?

Desolate181 said:
// Are they all from your personal collection?//
They are. Thanks for all the positive comments. Gus, have you vere considered at least egtting a larger monitor? With that old 14" low res you are still using, its like like watching a rented movie on a black & white TV. The web would be much more enjoyable with even just a better monitor.

Tony! Absolutely great work!

I have only one complaint... Now I have to go out and get a new monitor!

Give me a little heads up next time!

John

Hi Tony

Not bored yet.

I so appreciate your website that I got the idea of spreading knowledge as you do

KB is the beacon in the night....!

Back