The Too-Hard Basket

We really need a shoulder strap guys on this one. Why does he even have one? However my real question is look at the chair! Is it reversible? You can set it up two ways? Looks like someone is guarding a bunch of French prisoners wearing pajamas.

My best guess would be Infanterie-Regiment Markgraf Ludwig Wilhelm (3. Badisches) Nr. 111.

Regards
Glenn

joerookery said:
We really need a shoulder strap guys on this one.

Why is a Landsturmmann - if that's what he is, wearing cyphered shoulder straps and if he isn't why is an infantryman from a line regiment wearing a Wachstuchmütze?

Glennj said:
My best guess would be Infanterie-Regiment Markgraf Ludwig Wilhelm (3. Badisches) Nr. 111.

:D Let me retrieve this one from the basket. Many thanks for the lead Glenn.

- Brett

Look at the side lace boots, first time I saw these. The Frenchmen look like they should be in a hospital, and by the berets are Alpine Troops, from the Vosges?

There is nothing about this tunic that would indicate anything other than the line infantry regiment (Nr.111). There are no Landsturm straps or collar insignia. The regimental cypher is normally only worn by the line regiment. The reason for the Wachtuchmütze is a puzzlement. :-?

Chip

Perhaps he just kept on wearing the tunic of his old Regiment...

Looks that he had one hell of a job guarding the guards that were guarding this pyama guys...

:D Looks a fine chair to me to have a nap just after lunch...zzzzzz :D
In order to prevent sunburn they even might lift the chair up without waking me up....zzzzz
Francis

Thanks for the information on the chair! Seriously, I had not thought about that option. Guarding prisoners is a very Landsturm activity.

How I wish I could read the insignia on the cross.

I like the idea of a single thread for those problematic pictures that crop up now and then. I'll keep this one as mine.

Here's my latest riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. Bavarian assault pioneers? Nothing on reverse:

Early storm troops by drakegoodman, on Flickr

A larger size is available by clicking the image and choosing "original size".

Looking at the boots of most of these guys, I would think they have something to do with Gebirgsjäger...

Adler 1

Hey Brett,
I agree with your assumption that these are assault Pioneers, the type of boot worn was use by the Pioneers in this role, as they were not the open topped funnels for mud and stones that the Marschstieffeln were (these were fine for marching through tall wet grass, much like Wellies).
The long handled shovels indicate a Pioneer unit, and the large number of pistols show that this is not a normal infantry unit. (the pistols all look to be Pistole '08s, so that would indicate an issue item, not something that these men armed themselves with)
Best
Gus

Back